• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

i am 90% sure she did ,that is if you are asking was that his name, or is the word Ken in the question referring to myself????
KEN

The reason i asked if you went to Formans Rd was i saw you lived in Allcroft, some of my old school friends lived in that area and i wondered if you new them.Three i can recall are Clive Guest, George Haynes , and Wendy Guy
Hi craggy ken yes I remember them a all we were all at York road together. Clive lived at the other end of Allcroft to meand he had a sister Dianne and a younger brother Tony who worked later with my mom at Charles Hill in Cateswell Rd which became Rootes. Clive was quite a character. George lived in Lyncroftand I can still remember his happy smiling face today . Wendy and kenny Guy - I think they lived in Lyncroft too. We lived next to The Midland Gear Case and opposite lived the Powells a family of ten and I think they all went to Formans road - do you remember them?

Hi again - just realised I've made a mistake it was Ralph Guest who lived in Allcroft. Sorry - a Senior moment!
clive Guest lived in Lyncrofts d had an iron on one leg. After school he became a milkman and married a girl who lived three doors away from me called Carol Jackson a very pretty auburn haired girl but I think they divorced quite early on.

Would Ken Guy now be aged about 71/72? I was at York Road School between 1948 and 1954 and some years ago, through Friends Reunited, I found that Ken Guy was there at the same time. My last contact with him was in 2010 and he was living in Stratford-upon-Avon. Dave.

Pat
Iremember them all, do not worry about the memory lapse.My lasting memory of Wendy was what a fantastic runner she was although she was quite a smallperson. Have not seen her since school, niether of the Guest lads .George was very good at sport cricket was his best . He was on Warwickshire CC books but a hip problem finnished it. Ilast saw him at a reunion a few years ago .He had a dental repair bussiness at Leamington.I still see some from school at a get together once a year.The nearest iget to Brum is when i viset my sister Janet at Earlswood. You must have past my house many times on visits to your grandparents. I lived at 139 Formans Rd opposite Bromyard Rd next to Claytons fish shop. I am now down in Burnham on sea. Iwill post 2 pictures of football teams, George is on them
Ken

Thank you for the pics Ken but not sure which is George is he first on left in both pics though the first pic looks a bit like Derek Bundy. I remember Claytons - did you live in the long gardens? I used to stay a lot at 34 Formans Rd and also in Percy Rd. When Mom and I went home to Allcroft we used to get the 36 bus to Tynedale Rd and sometimes walked up to Claytons for chips then walk up past the long gardens go that bus stop and I remember the 36 ran on the hour and then every 20 mins. Happy days.

Pat

Pat
George is second from left on back row of the lighter picture, andfirst on the left front row on the darker one. I am 4 from left front row on the darker one. Our house was right next to Claytons, her cooking range used to keep moms front room warm when it was on. Mom also worked at the ATJ which your grandparents house would have backed on to.

001.jpgPat
This is a picture of our VJ party held in the entry next to Claytons. Mrs Clayton is on the right trying to adjust my big hat. Mom is at the far end with the ribbon on her head.
KEN

ken - thank you for all the pics - I was right about one of George's pics and my I-Pad has mislaid the other football pic.
that was how I remember him. What a great VE picture - what wonderful memories. I went to the one in Percy Rd then the
one in Formsnd roadster the side of the mirror Laundries and I remember George Barratt's father bringing out his next door neighbour's piano into the street for a sing song. The bonfire was huge and the party seemed to go on all night and all the kids dressed up in red white and blue paper dresses and shirts. Pat

I remember my cousin June Harrison had mumps so couldn't go to the party and she still wore her victory dress and stood for hours looking out of her bedroom window. Do you remember the Barratt family - George was the oldest then Hazel and then two younger boys and two younger girls a great family- their dad George worked at Lucas's up the road and used to come over every other Friday night to cut Uncle Ted's hair and also Frank Helliers and I think mr. Hone's too.
Pat

In those days had a paper business which he ran from the house. We delivered to alot of houses in Formans ,Bromyard ,Leominster roads , so i have a good recolection of the names you mentioned. Sid HONE alays came to watch the football on the Premier ground next to the laundry as i played for them 1957-60.There was also his brother Martin. Ialso remember the Busb,s May was a very large lady with a rough voice. Would you remember Ronney Foley??he lived next door to the outdoor on the corner of Formans andPercy . It should READ dad had a paper business, Old age at 79. There was also the little shop just up from your relations sold ladies wear, can not recall the name. Can you remember the greengrocers on the corner of Bromyard Rd Allan Storer was his name. That bus stop were you caught the 36 was outside Claytons at one time, but the Lucas had it moved so the workers did not have to walk up the hill.

I remover Ronnie Foley and he had a younger brother called Barry and his Mom was Violet a quiet little dark haired lady and his dad was a small ginger haired man who wore sped. The ladies wear shop was run by Mrs Nash who had a daughter called Grace who was my age and I think David and Brian Morcom lived next to their shop. David married Junes friend Joy
I remover the green grocer being a large red faced man with a mop of wavy hair. Do you remember Bill Harley who's Dad
kept the Pork Butchers shop next to Chambers sweet shop at the Stratford Road end? Sorry - I meant Ronnies dad wore
specs!
Pat

106.jpgRonnie Foley worked with mom at the ATJ. I remember the butchers it was run by a friend of mine after , Stan Darby was his name. There was also Lucas cycle shop, the greengrocers Danns and Snapes, the hairdressers Terrys and Ray Rogers across the rd next to the DIY shop Ihave a picture of Allan Storer with dad, can not remember him with hair i will post it

Why do I remember him with hair!! Do you remember when the premier re-opened the ground after the war we all went to
the opening and had a great time. We spent a lot of time over the Burberry brick - we all used to go down to the botton of George Barratts garden and go through the fence. What an exciting place that was to play in.do you remember Sylvia
Newman who lived just passed St Edmunds and the photographers on Reddings Lane - she lived next to the house that was bombed?

Sylvia Newman lived next door to us at 137 before they moved up to Reddings Lane, iam sure our paths must have crossed in the distant past. there is not much between our age and we seem to recall the same things. Can you remember when the Premier ground was a resevoir the same as the one across from Formans Rd school. Alad got drowned in the one at the Premier and i can recall us stood on the river bank watching the firemen using hooks to find him, no unger water serches then. Spent half my young life over thr Burbury brick, sledging in winter and up to all sorts the rest of the year.

Gosh what a shock seeing Sylvia after all these years - we were friends for ages and used to cycle everywhere sometimes
with her dad too. Her mom always seemed to be singing at the top of her voice. We used to go out for long walks with her
Mom and Dad and they always held hands which I remember was most unusual in those days. We often all went on The
Midland Red to Coventry to visit some of their relatives at Canley which I recall was quite countrified. Sylvia was very keen on Dennis Barber and Ray Burbridge from Roma Road.
Pat

Her dads name was Les very good at DIY, they had the best Ander son shelter going, like a hotel inside.During the war we had an evacue from London and his sister went to stay at Newmans but she could not get on with Sylvia so she ended up with us Ray Burbridge was in our class at school

Ihave really enjoyed this trip down memory lane so here are some moor to test the grey matter. Ihave it in my mind that Sylvia had a brother ,or am i dreaming. My sister bought Newmans old house from the people they sold to. Some more names from the road do you recall any. Joan Hawkins lived just by the little shop. On the other side near to the shop on the corner of the drive that led to the football grond were the Duffles, at 73 were the Harpers, Ken has just passed away. At 75 were the Hopkins ,Pat and Ray and at 93 the Bullocks , i still see Gerry. How come you palled up with Sylvia.

Ihave really enjoyed this trip down memory lane so here are some moor to test the grey matter. Ihave it in my mind that Sylvia had a brother ,or am i dreaming. My sister bought Newmans old house from the people they sold to. Some more names from the road do you recall any. Joan Hawkins lived just by the little shop. On the other side near to the shop on the corner of the drive that led to the football grond were the Duffles, at 73 were the Harpers, Ken has just passed away. At 75 were the Hopkins ,Pat and Ray and at 93 the Bullocks , i still see Gerry. How come you palled up with Sylvia.

Here we go - no Sylvia didn't have a brother. Yes. Remember Joan Hawkins and her brother wax in the navy re beer the Harpers and kenny and Ivy Duffell used to see Ivy around Shirley but haven't seen her for years. Pat Hopkins went to
yardley Grammar and married Bill Sheriden from there. He died last year I think. He and Pat had a daughter who was killed in a car accident when she was only eighteen - very sad. I think Pats brother had the cycle shop on Robin Hood
Island and he died a couple of years ago - shop was empty for ages. Can't remember hoe I palled up with Sylvia but she
Got me into a lot of trouble but we had lots of fun!
Pat

IMG_2109309581717.jpegPat
This is a photo of the Hopkins family, sent to me some tme ago from a lady on Facebook. She said her husband was relaited to the family. She said Ray had died years ago very young, he was always a very keen and good cyclist.
Ken

What a lovely photo,wasn't Pat stunning looking I worked at the same company as Pat for a while many years ago in
Blackheath and she was even more beautiful this was a couple of years before her daughter was killed.

Back