• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

Does anyone remember my Gramp? He used to live in Formans rd in the 60's/70's, maybe even 50's before I was born! number 52. he had an allotment, and used to enjoy bet on the horses and a pint in the Bear pub!
Albert 'Bertie' Russell. He passed away in the 80's and I would love to know if anyone has any fond memories of him.

Sorry I don't remember your Gramps, living at 52 he would have been at the bottom of Formans Rd whereas I was at 204 near the top. I also had rellies at 107 which was a sweet shop right by the allotments. My dad had an allotment there too and they may have known one another.
Good Luck in your search though.

Sparkhill Boy.

(GrahamHood)

What was your Dads name? I remember a few of Gramps old pals, we used to drink tea in a little shed, out of white metal mugs washed with water from the well!

Hi
ask your dad if he remembers the harris family next to claytons fish shop opposite bromyard rd.my sisters name was janet.
Ken

Will do! We were at the lower numbers end, at 28........... but if they were by a fish shop, that ups the odds of him knowing them! ;-)

Hi jayne
just remembered the names of 2 people we delivered papers to at that end of formans rd.
They were the following,hones they had a son called sid,and the others were named busby.
Ken

I remember them! 'Uncle' Sid Hones used to live next door to us! His wife Gladys used to stink the street out making nettle tea for her rheumatism, I loved them both! Busby is interesting, as we have relations/ancesters called Busby............

Hi Ken,
My Dad used to deliver papers for the Harris family when he was a boy! So, are you a Harris then? Would you remember my Dad Ian Russell as a paper boy?

This is his e mail reply:
Hello yes i do remember the Harris family I used to deliver newspapers for them, they ran a news paper business from home and we used to go on our bikes to the wholesaler at the end of Percy road on Warwick road.

Hi jayne
yes i am ken harris.i do remember your dad.his story of fetching the papers from hydes on warwick rd
is quite correct.any idea what year that would be????

Ken

Hi Ken,
Not sure what year that would be, I will ask Dad...... I guess it would be around 1954/55/56? Dad was 70 this year!

Are you the singer of the song 'Sparkhill Boy'? I have sent you a message on You Tube if it is you. Thanks

Formans Road memories- my aunt and uncle Ted and Nellie Harrison lived at number 34 for over 40yrs opposite the Mirror Laundry and I was born in Percy Road - five houses down from the outdoor at no. 332 in 1936 at my Grandmothers house.
She was Sarah Allcock and this was the family home for over 100 years and only went out of the family two years ago. I
remember my Nan organising the V.E. Day party outside the house - will try and find photos.

Did your relation have a small proprty repair business?? Ilived at 139 and I am sure a person of that name used to do small jobs for mom and dad

Did your relation have a small proprty repair business?? Ilived at 139 and I am sure a person of that name used to do small jobs for mom and dad

Craggy ken-just realised that was another Harrison named Mick who lived at number 38 - he had a small business.

Whilst the Forman's Road thread is currently popular, can some one please confirm a silly story that I heard?

It was rumoured that one of Osama Bin Laden's wives had lived in that road. Please, please, please confirm that this is untrue. Eddie

Looks like the rd was full of Harrisons and Harris ,s at that time
Probably was the season for them also girls names beginning with 'j'. June Harrison my cousin lived at no.34. And went to College Rd school 1942 -1952 and Joy. Harrison was Mick Harrison's daughter - don't know where she went to school as she was a bit older than us.

Caggyken - no I went to York Road School in Hall green- then a year at College Road seniors when Miss Mason was Head - then King Edwards Grammar. School Handsworth.

The reason i asked if you went to Formans Rd was i saw you lived in Allcroft, some of my old school friends lived in that area and i wondered if you new them.Three i can recall are Clive Guest, George Haynes , and Wendy Guy

Back