• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ford Street, Hockley

Carolynn

master brummie
There a couple of houses in Ford Street Nos 3 & 4 which had large long rooms attached to them that you could either access inside the house or through the back yard through an outhouse and up some steps. It was always called 'the factory' and certainly had lots of leaded windows all along the side. As any one any idea what it would have been used for? Thanks

There was a factory in Ford Street at one time i think they made rulers,Rathbones or something i'm talking about early 60s when i remember it ,

Jane
Earlier than 1873 the house numbers are not listed in Ford St, but from then:
No 3
1876 William Henry Ferrer, pearl worker
1883-4 Aaron Cartwright press tool maker
1888 1895 no 3 was Walter Mills electroplating manufacturer

No 4
1873- 1892 was Wilhelm Hegenbarth glass engraver

mike

hi guys
the factory was called raybones ltd
and yes they made all measuring instruments