• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ford Family Garrison Lane.

Not sure if it was the computer or me but have corrected my post#89. Benjamin Crumpton is father of Emma Crumpton b 13/1/1894. Mother is also named Emma.

Last edited:
Tinpot, the difficulty regarding your enquiry is that on the Genealogy web sites the census cannot be searched by address, i.e. I can't search for Arthur street in 1911 and find a list of all the people living there. One can only search for, say, George Henry Ford born about 1867, Birmingham, then a great lists of suggestions come up (mostly not the ones you want) and you have to go through every one.

Tinpot, the difficulty regarding your enquiry is that on the Genealogy web sites the census cannot be searched by address, i.e. I can't search for Arthur street in 1911 and find a list of all the people living there. One can only search for, say, George Henry Ford born about 1867, Birmingham, then a great lists of suggestions come up (mostly not the ones you want) and you have to go through every one.
Thanks for trying .I didn't realise that it is difficult to search without names . I had been given information in the past about other family there maybe something will come to light when the 1921 census is out. Thanks to MWS and Janice.

Last edited:
On the 1920 e roll the Benjamin referred to by MWS on post #90 is listed at 4 back of 20 and, at the same address is Emma Crumpton,

Thanks for trying .I didn't realise that it is difficult to search without names . I had been given information in the past about other family there maybe something will come to light when the 1921 census is out. Thanks to MWS and Janice.

Are you trying to find the Ford or the Crumptons?

You can search the address with a name on findmypast. There doesn't appear to be any of either there in 1911.
Are you trying to find the Ford or the Crumptons?
My priority is the Ford family first . There were complications with the common names and Emma marrying George jr and then his brother Samuel. You have all helped me pin some of those down. Tinpot

I think I can trace Ernest, Allen, Frederick, Lily (d young) and Annie. Mary Ellen is proving a bit elusive.

I think I can trace Ernest, Allen, Frederick, Lily (d young) and Annie. Mary Ellen is proving a bit elusive.
I didn't know about Lily or Mary Ellen. Are they all at 10 Medley St. Greet? I'm hoping to find the date of death their brother Samuel b 14/5/1895 and the causes. He seems to have died during WWII as far as I can see leaving Emma widowed again.

Those at 10 medley Street are listed in post 32. However, I thought she was just Ellen not Mary Ellen.

Last edited:
Most likely is a death in 1943 - that Samuel's age is given as 48 which would fit. I discounted the second one as the age did not fit.
1616863026222.png

Not sure if it was the computer or me but have corrected my post#89. Benjamin Crumpton is father of Emma Crumpton b 13/1/1894. Mother is also named Emma.

Can I ask how you know Benjamin is Emma's father? Is it her marriage certificate or birth certificate?

Thanks Janice. Can I access further information with this reference? Tinpot
You cannot access any further information without buying the death certificate. The references are from the GRO site where you can purchase copies. You need to register - that is free - but you have to pay to order - £11 for paper copy and £7 for a pdf file. You do take a risk that the cert ordered is for the person you want.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Can I ask how you know Benjamin is Emma's father? Is it her marriage certificate or birth certificate?
Certified copy of 1894 birth registration no 468 made in 1974. Emma Crumpton Place of birth 24 court 6 Barford st. Father Benjamin Crumpton

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
This reference to Greet. Is it an actual district i.e. Greet, Yardley or is it a miss spelling of Great(er) Yardley as opposed to Yardley village?

Certified copy of 1894 birth registration no 468 made in 1974. Emma Crumpton Place of birth 24 court 6 Barford st. Father Benjamin Crumpton

And is her mother Emma, previously Adkins? Father's occupation?

Last edited:
Your Crumptons have been driving me a little crazy.

Two or three times I thought I'd worked it out. Then I thought that the Benjamin & Emma Crumpton at Arthur Street were just a coincidence and then I thought Benjamin might be a bigamist. Still not sure of everything.

Benjamin Crumpton appears to be James Benjamin Crumpton b1864, d1934. He is not the James Crumpton that marries Ada Charlotte Mee though I suspect he is related somehow.

James B Crumpton's marriage to Emma Millward (nee Adkins) is nor registered until 1919. Why that is I don't know and where James Benjamin is up until then, again I don't know.

I think Emma Adkins is Emma Robinson Adkins but the 1939 dob doesn't quite match her birth reg. She is however living with a brother of her on the 1891 census as Millward.

Emma Adkins marries Ashwood Millward in 1886 after which he's not seen again (at one stage I thought he & James Benjamin were the same person).

Emma has 3 Millward children (no idea if Ashwood is the father) one of which marries Harry Crumpton, who appears to be the nephew of the James Crumpton who marries Ada Charlotte Mee. That's why I think there's some relationship.

Emma Adkins/Millward is listed as Crumpton in 1901 and Emma Crumpton (daughter) is listed as Jessie for some reason. In 1911 Emma (mother) is back to Millward and Emma (daughter) is listed as a visitor instead of daughter, which if she was living somewhere else she may have been.

Still questions but that's it at the moment.

Your Crumptons have been driving me a little crazy.

Two or three times I thought I'd worked it out. Then I thought that the Benjamin & Emma Crumpton at Arthur Street were just a coincidence and then I thought Benjamin might be a bigamist. Still not sure of everything.

Benjamin Crumpton appears to be James Benjamin Crumpton b1864, d1934. He is not the James Crumpton that marries Ada Charlotte Mee though I suspect he is related somehow.

James B Crumpton's marriage to Emma Millward (nee Adkins) is nor registered until 1919. Why that is I don't know and where James Benjamin is up until then, again I don't know.

I think Emma Adkins is Emma Robinson Adkins but the 1939 dob doesn't quite match her birth reg. She is however living with a brother of her on the 1891 census as Millward.

Emma Adkins marries Ashwood Millward in 1886 after which he's not seen again (at one stage I thought he & James Benjamin were the same person).

Emma has 3 Millward children (no idea if Ashwood is the father) one of which marries Harry Crumpton, who appears to be the nephew of the James Crumpton who marries Ada Charlotte Mee. That's why I think there's some relationship.

Emma Adkins/Millward is listed as Crumpton in 1901 and Emma Crumpton (daughter) is listed as Jessie for some reason. In 1911 Emma (mother) is back to Millward and Emma (daughter) is listed as a visitor instead of daughter, which if she was living somewhere else she may have been.

Still questions but that's it at the moment.
I think I am beginning to see why this process is so addictive MSW!
I have been drawing up a timeline of events for the Ford family to make sense of the families lives. That made me look at why George and Mary moved family to 10 Medley St in Greet. I looked at that area for Brickworks . Found some there. Also spotted Fog Signal Works just south of BSA Proofing Building. Mary's occupation was in fog signals. Clearly explosive involved as buildings are all separated.

As for Adkins I will have to assimilate your research. I have found some Adkins in Arthur St 1891. I will see if anything matches.Tinpot

Back