• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

For el-stano - Spiers

Shera

true brummie
here is your grandads medal card as you requested . thomas childs spiers

also have found a couple of addresses from the electoral rolls for him

in 1920 he was living 51 george arthur rd. saltley

in 1930 he was living 16 ludlow rd. saltley with emma spiers

in 1935 - 1955 he was living 45 lime tree rd. washwood heath with emma spiers

Re: For el-stano

the marriage was thomas c spiers to emma littley in 1924 jul-sep birmingham north. 6d 1217

in 1901 the family were living erskine st. aston. father charles h. spiers aged 44 was a blacksmith b. glouc.
wife mary was 39 and born worc. and thomas c. spiers was 4 yrs b. glouc.

in 1911 they were living 113 great francis st. aston. mother mary spiers was now a widow aged 48yrs and thomas c. was 14yrs. an errand boy.

Wow! I had no idea about the Glos and Worc connections.
Strangely, my wife and I lived in S Glos for the 10 years to 2006, when we emigrated.
Thanks again.

i notice that in 1911 mary spiers says she was born alderton gloucestershire. (in 1901 it says worc) i would think the 1911 is more correct.

tracing emma littley - in 1901 great lister st. aston. albert littley 22 gun worker b. bham
margaret littley 24 b. bham
amy aged 2yrs and emma aged 3 mths. both b. bham

also living with them was mary knowles who was margarets sister.

the marriage was albert littley to margaret knowles in 1898 apr-jun aston 6d 641

by 1911 margaret littley had died (1908) and albert was with his second wife alice aged 26. they were living 27 heneage st. aston

Hi El-Stono,
have just seen this thread.
I am researching the Littley family (the in-law part of my tree).
My son is related to Albert Littley and his daughter Emma. I see that Thomas C Spiers is your grandfather. Is your grandmother Emma Littley (wife number one) or Eliza Alice H (wife number two) ?
Thanks Shea for sharing this information. I will be passing it on to my sis-in-law (mothers maiden name Littley).

Tess

Hi Tess,
My grandparents - Emma & Thomas - were married, as it says above, in 1924. Thomas had no second wife. He died in the early 1970s and Emma followed him two days after. So I don't see where Eliza Alice fits in. Emma had two sisters - Renie (sp?) and Amy.
In the photo the baby is my late Uncle Reg, in about 1926.
Best wishes,
Stan

Hi Stan, thanks for getting back to me. Have just looked at my notes and see that it was Albert that had two wives, (Margaret and Eliza Alice).
Albert Littley had an older brother called William Frank, his second wife was Ada Hughes, their son Harold was my grandfather-in-law, i.e.
Harold was Emma's first cousin, my mother-in-law was Reginalds second cousin. Which means that you and my sis-in-law are third cousins.
Will contact her tomorrow.

Tess

Chris you are a gem and give so much time to the forum helping people. So pleased for you Stan. Jean.

Stan, have spoken to sis-in-law today. She is already in touch with you via this forum and email.
She hadn't seen the photo of Reg. though, so is quite excited about that.
Have told her that I think that there is a family resemblence with Harold.

Tess

Back