• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Food

Erdington Girl

Brummie babby
Does anyone remember " Frizettes " It came as a powder in a box which you mixed with a little water and then spooned into a frying pan with a little lard to make fritters which you ate with Bacon and eggs. The taste was wonderful they were so tasty either hot or cold. Over the years I have tried to get them but no one seems to have heard of them.

Hallo Erdington Girl - being an Erdington boy I'm very pleased to meet you. Never heard of Frizettes, but yesterday I ate some similar stuff (but frozen) which I bought from the local IKEA called Rosti (which is the name of a traditional Swiss dish, made just from grated raw spud pushed together and fried in the pan). Quite nice they were and not expensive. It's hard work grating raw spud, if you make it yourself, but worth it.
Of course it's best done in proper dripping or lard, but I must admit I use 'Cookeen' these days 'cos it's supposed to be healthier. Of course you can't beat goose dripping for that sort of thing.
Peter

Frizets

Hello Pete and Alf
Thanks for your replies. The answer bank was great, I shall be using that site often. I've been trying for ages to find out about Frizets, the recipe if possible, my dad loved them and is always on about them I would love to be able to make him some, who knows someone might come up with the recipe. Thanks again

liquerice

:biggrin: Talking about liquorice the black and the stringy stuff does anyone remember this one?. I hate the black stuff but Pete would eat it till it came out of his ears. I wonder where that saying came from?. TTFN. Jean. :biggrin:

What about Kali that came in little triangular paper bags, and stained your finger yellow from dipping it in the Kali and sucking it.

sherbert dabs

Also Erdington girl do you remember them sherbert dabs with that powder kali which was white and had a little type of lollipop that you dipped in:)

Kali.

:grinsmile: I used to love kali, but didn't it make your mouth water. Loved sherbot dip in a round cardboard packet. Can you still get kali Judy?. TTFN. Jean. :grinsmile:

I don't know Jean. I haven't seen it for years, but I never buy sweets now:(. I also remember penny ice lollies that used to come in very bright colours and were tube shaped and used to stain your tongue. Probably wouldn't be allowed today.

lp Vantas

:) Judy. I don't eat sweets or chocolate only a hard toffee one and I'm not keen on that much. Upps. Tell a lie. I do like the swirl with the brazil nut in the middle but that ones usually gone first. Just curious about the kali. By our school was a little sweet shop and we used to go there after school for a lp vantas. I loved the lime one the best. I bet Patty can remember that. Can't remember the owners name though. :) TTFN. Jean.

Well I love sweets Jean but have to control my sugar intake now:(
I love chocolate, but only have it very very occasionally. Cadburys is still my favourite. We went Cadburys with school to see the chocolates being made and the smell of the cocoa beans put me off chocolate for about a year.

You may be too young to remember the rationing during the war, but Mom used to save up her coupons and we used to go to Mrs Payne's sweet shop by the tram terminus in Villa Road, Handsworth and buy what we could. Usually it was a bribe to get us to go to Sunday School:D

She also used to sell penny glasses of Tizer which I loved.

Greedy

Being greedy:rolleyes: i wood suck mine up the straw so fast and choke myself.
Not forgetting the triangle shaped Jubblee...............Cat:)

Back