• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Follet Osler School

G

Gobby

Here is a photo of my Dad in 1939 at Osler Street Senior Boys School - Ladywood. Edit. Unfortunately the photo referred to has been lost.

Dad is in the 3rd row back and 4th from the left.

Dennis Reeves was born on the 6th July 1926 at 1 back 63 Grosvenor Street West - Ladywood.

I dont think the school is there now - I wonder when it went?

I am no good at resizing photo's - the other one I have is better quality - 3342x2640 8.73mb

Thanks
Gobby

Great photo Gobby, I saw it on the practice section. I've Resized (Di Poppitt)
View attachment 7146

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone remember follet osler school or oakfields infant?

my brother went there and has asked to mention some names from follet osler would have been 60's i think.

philip blackford,steven bishop,terry cook,russel poppet,catherine ansell,susan edwards,mary patrick,corina uller,julian marshall and sisters sally and ruth shepherd

kerry

Last edited:
I have just found an old school report of my uncles dated July 1958 year 3 the school being Follet Osler Secondary Modern Boys I am assuming it is in Ladywood somewhere??

I can make out the Form master's name : J A Maddison & from what I can make of the Headmasters name it is: "awoupton"??

Does anyone know of this school? or did anyone attend it during the 1950's??

Angie xx

Hi Peters: Welcome to the Forum. You can find a site for this school on the Friends Reunited site at www.friendsreunited.co.uk. Just type in the school name in the drop down menu at the left hand side of the site. There are some old photos on this site. Good luck.

Thank you both... silly me not to think of trying FR!!

You are right Lloyd... Iv just checked the signiture on the link you sent me & they are the same!

Angie xx

Hello i went to Follet Osler school as did my husband (John Barnes) . He recognised some of the names you had written . My family lived next door to the school the Clark street entrance that before they merged together was the boys entrance .

No he has not seen any for a couple of years, but we did go to the school reunion a few years back which really was a lovely evening.Even i was shocked the number of people who turn up.

hi lizy
going by the thread tat you went to the oratry
and osler street
i take it you would have known the courtneys famiy
whom lived across the rd facing the school
as they all went to them schools
and i have heardof you and your family the sloyans
in years gone bye
from teresa courtney and madderline speaking about the old days
also the list of people whom attended the school
one or two of them lived in barford rd
whom i can recall
do you recall a girl by the name of gwenda witworth
or even sheila wahab
or linda renahan
have a nice day best wishes astonian ;;

Hi , i was in Teresa's class at school and my eldest sister was in Madelines class as were a few of my brothers and sister's as we all fell into the same ages in the two families. I can remember there mom and dad and some of the family names.My eldest sister talks fondly of Madeline and she said if she remembers correctly she married a John Brown. Also i do remember Shelia Wahab,but she was older then me she had a sister Tina who was in my brother's class.

Hello Lizzy, can I push in on your thread and ask if anyone knew Sheila and David Evans about the same era as your thread.

Hello Lizzy, they lived in Hope Street and attend Follet Osler school.

Sorry i can't put a face to the names would it be too rude to ask the ages myself and husband's are (52-57) and my husband seem's to remember a David Evans.

Hello again Lizzy Sheila is 60 and David, sadly not with us any longer would have been 62.

hi liz
i thought tersa and magie knew you ;
because we often speak of you and the familys of clark stree
i am married to teresa and have been for the last 35 years
and we see maderline quite often she lives in bermuda village now nuneaton warickshire in fact we are meeting up next friday
as we are [ all four of us ] going down to blackpool line dancing competitions at the northbreak castle hotel
for the whole week end
also you mentioned sheila wahab well i was her boy friend for afew years and we was planning to get married
but then we had abig fall out and called it all off
mainly becuase my mother did not like her
and incidently our friend on the forum mossy is also a old friend of her brothers they was drinking partners around the same time and is partner at the time was friends with vera [ mickys wife ]
i there sayi know alot more of the guys and gals around that time from clarke st and in fact the area of lady wood
i shall tell teresa when she comes in from work that you remember her she will be well pleased and she as told me about the sloyans
many times i think one was call veronica
i will give maggie your regards and that we have mentioned her
incidently at the time in clark street she married a frank brown
and her first son was john brown he a very nice bloke
well turned out and a grafter and he lived down halesowen
and the second child jackie lives up in quinton and she works at he Q.E ; hospital me ant tess as she likes to be called have three grown
up kids
well liz many thanks for your feed back [ brilliant]
astonian;;;

Hello Astonian, I went to Follet Osler from 1957-1962, when the girls and boys were seperate, I remember David Evans, Kenny Fields, Carl Strawford, David Morgan,
some of the girls in my class were, Dotty Wilson, Pat Godwin, I lived in Gilby Road Ladywood, worked at Littlewoods in town when I left, later at Star Fancy Goods, wholesale warehouse at the top of Ladywood Road.

hello jackytrow, I said earlier that I married Sheila Evans, Davids sister. David was married twice with a child from each. Actually he did very well for himself initially. rewiring houses with another man. He then went onto the Oil Rigs, then he purchased a pub, The Minerva Vaults near Newtown. Unfortunately he got a liking for the beer and wasted the rest of his life. He sold the pub and bought aguest house in Edgbaston,The Kennedy. He paid others to all the work and wasted his time in various pubs. He ended up living alone near us and Sheila had to do all his running around. He died 18 months ago in a hospice. The beer did'nt kill him, although it did'nt help. He died of a lung disease because he would not stop smoking after being warned 15 years earlier. Sorry to tell you bad news but such is life.
Sheila & Trevor.

hi jackytrow
Yes i certainly knew most of the girls at that school and most of all the goodwin s and the wilsons
and i knew sheila and david evans,in fact i knew the whole family of the evans david used to stay at our house vertualy all night gambling or playing darts .and of course
drinking afew pints
we have not seen david in donkeys years,nor is family
i shall tell my brother about david passing over
i have often said to my brother, i wonder where dave evans is now over the last years of our life
would you remember gwenda witworth,sylvia peters
linda renahamdenise blackwell ursal riding
or the goldies from hyde rd sandra bishop from freethh st
i am trying to think of the names of gilby avenue
jacky ; i could carry on all night with alot of names
did you know maureen barnes as welljust one more i have just thoughtwas the hanson sister shirley hanson
i will leave it that for now
best wishes astonian ;;

I used to live next but one to the Bishop family in Freeth Street. It was a large family, all well behaved with good manners. Mr Bishops first name was Ernie.

hi sticher
i knew the bishops family
yes they was a big family but respectful
didnt ernie or the son work across the rd facing the house the old coop warehouse
me and one is daughters did have an affair
but ernie was not happy about it
he was a very hard working bloke but very protected towards his kids
as you say they was a very nice family
did you ever know where they moved to
when they started the area clearance
best wishes astonian ;;

Hello Astonian, Ernie bishop lived next door but one to me, another neighbour was George Pickard, a scrap metal man. He was a very tall, very broad and very strong. In the very early 60s I saw G. Pickard win £10 by picking up a 4' gas bottle with one hand. It was stood upside down on the back of a small lorry and George held the end where the gauge and tap is fitted, another man steadied it in the upright position and George gruntet, turned purple and lifted it about a foot off the bed of the lorry. I don't know where Ernie Bishop worked, and did you know Sid Beech or Tony Danvers?. Both families lived in the road facing the Cuckoo. If you stood on the pub step and looked across Freeth St. you would be looking up the road where these two families lived.

Back