• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

'Flying Flea' airplane - Small Heath

florence butler

master brummie
In Carl's programme last Sunday afternoon, he had a fellow on called Alfred Jenks promoting his book 'Aviation in Warwickshire Between the Wars'. This bought to mind a story told to me by my cousin some time ago.

His father, my uncle, Walter Wright, deceased, (or Samman - stepfathers name), of Small Heath, and his mate (name unknown), built a wooden replica of Frenchman Henri Mignet's Flying Flea airplane in one of their back gardens between 1934 - 1939. They followed instructions from a book Mignet produced for the amateur homebuild enthusiast. A number of fatal accidents occured however, and the Royal Aircraft Establishment in England and the French Air Ministry investigated the problems and made various modifications. Today there is a resurgence of interest with many being built all over the world). It is a super little plane.

Walter and his mate managed to get their Flying Flea airborne at Castle Bromwich Aerodrome where it gained an Airworthy certificate. But when the second world war was threatened, the craft was confiscated by the MOD.

As a child, my cousin remembered seeing a photo and article in the Birmingham Mail of Walter and his mate proudly displaying the finished Flying Flea and holding a bow saw and Stanley drill. Over time though, much to my cousins disappointment, the newspaper article and certificate have been lost.

I'm just wondering if this little story of yesteryear rings a bell with any of the Small Heath crowd. And does anyone have any idea, if at all, where the records are held re the aerodrome event or the certificates. And what happened to all those redundant Flying Fleas?

Any help would be really appreciated, Florence

Oh, by the way, Walter is not a descendent of the Wright brothers!

Flying Flea in Newspapers

Hello Florence ,

The Birmingham,, Evening Mail / Post & Mail have Archives,
I am sure that if you contact them (Trinity Mirror Group )
their web address & Telephone etc is on any B,ham Mail
give them the closest date you think the Photos/Article was printed
then they will probably be able to help you, Ok, John Y ;)

My husband Ron is a pilot and also has built a few homebuilts....infact we have on in the garage right now 90% complete...its a" hummelbird" we've seen quite a few of the "Flying Flea" when we go to flyins,they are popular this side of the puddle......but please note i'm not a plane enthusiast, so i always choose to drive to the flyins.....l like to keep my feet on the ground.l feel like its worth going to the flyins if only to see gray haired oldmen including Ron huddle around a plane all deep in discussion about this and that ...that saying about men and their toys is true Brenda

Flying Flea

I'm a newcomer to this site, and this is my first post.

The 'Flying Flea' (more accurately 'Le Pou du Ciel') was designed by Mignet as an easy-to-build aircraft anyone could construct and fly. He sold the plans all round the world, and I think at least one company offered kits of parts. Unfortunately, the Flea had a fatal design flaw due to its weird tandem-wing 'flying-slot' layout, and could (and did) go into a spin from which there was no recovery. After numerous fatal accidents, the design was banned worldwide. It was an exceedingly ugly little thing, the product of enthusiasm over aerodynamic knowledge. There is an example in the museum at RAF Cosford.

Regards,

Big Gee.

I love Alfies link to the Flying Flea meet. I can see why there are enthusiasts, you could almost pick one up and tuck it under your arm.:)

Hello Di (and Alfie),

I think I'm right in saying that the actual flying of Flying Fleas is not allowed these days, due to an inherent design-fault that caused many fatal accidents in the 1930's.

Big Gee

Flying Flea

Hello Florence,
Old Wardon Airodrome also have a "Flea" it is generally on show when they hold their flying display,which incidentley the planes are all vintage types, beautiful ,the old "flea2 can be viewed with it's engine going full throttle

Hi Dennis,:)

Thank you so much for that. The Old Wardon Aerodrome displays sound really good. Just had a quick look at them on the web. It would certainly be worth a visit some time. I'd love to see that great little airplane flying.

Regards...Florence:)

Hello Florence,
Old Wardon Airodrome also have a "Flea" it is generally on show when they hold their flying display,which incidentley the planes are all vintage types, beautiful ,the old "flea2 can be viewed with it's engine going full throttle

Dennis,

Old Warden Aerodrome (spelling!) do have a 'Flea', but they don't fly it 'cos it isn't allowed! However, they do fly much older vintage aircraft, and I believe that the oldest of the lot is a French Deperdussin of pre-WW1 age. If you Google 'Old Warden' you'll get the dates of all their flying-days for 2008 (weather permitting).

And I really do hate to say this, but 'airplane' is American. We English call them 'aeroplanes'....

Regards,

Big Gee

Flying flea

Sorry about my slip of "The Pen" yes you are correct but could call them airframes or aircraft it all boils down to the same thing, I have been many times to Old Warden they really do put on some great display, Have A video I took of the F.F with engine going

Back