• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

FLorence WARD

M

Marlene

Hi
Florence Ward was born in Aston <1890> to Frederick Ward and his unknown wife. There is a possibility that Frederick married Florence Pearson in 1890.
In 1901 census Florence is 11 and living with her father, a widower, and her grandparents Hannah and Vincent Ward at 8 Millward St. probably awaiting the visit of her Uncle Henry from New Zealand.
Anyone got a grandma named Florence? Her father may have remarried.
I have a lot of family information I would love to share if only I can find some descendants. :D
Was there an electoral roll or similar about 1910 when Florence might have been 21 and able to vote? I'd be very grateful for any help.
Marlene

Hi Old Timer!!!!
Thanks for the info but you in Brummie land were a rather slow lot :!: . No wonder my 'olds' moved out to where women got the vote as of right in 1893!! The men got full voting rights about 12 years earlier! Now in 2003 our Prime Minister, :D Governor General, :D Chief Justice, :D Attorney General :D are all of the fairer sex along with plenty of women MPs!
Woe betide any man :evil: who dares suggest women are not capable :roll:
Regards from a liberated one :D
Marlene

Fred and Flo

Hi Old Timer
Ooh... double entrendre? I have an ex husband who can testify to women frying their bacon!!
So you have a Fred and Florence as well? Is it about the same time frame? My Fred married about 1890s.
My lot came from Alcester circa 1870s and settled in Small Heath by 1881. For some reason they moved in 1891 and I cannot find them. In 1901 they were, almost all, back in the same street, different number. At Easter 2002 I found a chest engraved with my great grandfather's name and Wellington- London 1901!. So he obviously left a wife and 10 surviving kids here in Aotearoa and went home to visit Brum.
So I am sure someone's family must have stories/rumours/lies about the prodigal son and his return. Trouble is as far as I have researched almost all the siblings had daughters about 1880- 1900 and tracking them all and their marriages is proving a nightmare!!
I'd love to find even one connection before I publish my research for the 125th anniversary this year, of my 'olds' arrival!
Cheers
Marlene :)

:D Kia Ora ,Thank you so much. I retract all comments about Brummies!!!! :D
Someone else was looking for me and couldn't find Vincent & Hannah Ward in Millward St. As Fred had only a daughter Florence 11 with him in 1901 I had assumed :oops: he didn't marry until 1890 or so! The only clue I had was on Free BMD where a Fred Ward had married Florence Pearson and I worked on the premise that they had had a daughter Florence!!! I am the dumbie. :roll: This opens a whole new line for me thank you so much.
I suppose it would be pushing my luck to ask if you could find Vincent & Hannah for me? And Fred's sister Sarah Ann Stephens who was in Laburnum Tce Grange Rd in 1881?
Really Old Timer I am thrilled to bits; every little clue as you have provided takes me one step closer to finding some real live rellies.
Going to bed with tears in my eyes!! Thanks
Marlene

Hi Again Old timer
Thank you so much for looking.
To be honest I am a little befuddled by the areas around the addresses I have .
Millward Street area was in Aston which I understand to be the 'Registration District.' But the 'Ecclestical Parish' area was St Andrews. And then there was the civil or local name which I have been told was Small Heath. I haven't asked specifically about Grange Rd but B'ham Library sent me maps which show it was only a short distance from Millward St.
All very confusing for a simple gal from the colonies!! But the info is great from the censuses and something we don't have here... one of the probs encountered by a the early settlers wanting to protect their privacy so we have only the electoral rolls which don't list anyone under 21 years.
I'd be very grateful for any clarification if I have misunderstood.
Did I ever tell you that I have an UNrelated Fred Ward that I know little about? He married Martha Bourne who was born about 1898 in New Zealand? Martha was the first granddaughter of Vincent & Hannah born here. Any chance your Fred came to NZ?
Sincerely
Marlene

:D Hi Marlene & Oldtimer . Congrat's on your working together. Marlene I also live in NZ, and know I have living relies in (Brum) the UK, but have been unable to trace them as yet. However I leave no stone, or avinue unturned and have gained much help from this site. Not the least from you Oldtimer, with all the sites you have posted and advice you have given to others 8) . Thanks alot and good luck with your searches :)

Hi Oldtimer
I am in the conventional dither. My computer went to hospital and the technician saved Brother's Keeper to a CD and can't now open It! So can't give you any further info about Fred at present. Martha was born 1October 1899 and died 19 Sept. 1952. Fred died in the early 1940s I know he served overseas in WW1 and they married on his return. They had 3 children 2 sons now deceased and a daughter. Betty is still alive living in Wanganui NZ. She had 3 children one of whom is Mayor of a town not far from Pomgolian!!
I have a photo of Fred and Martha's tombstone so will explore further.
My inspirational moments are in the bath and I did think about a second marriage but Fred would have been very young when he married. Then I found a marriage on Free Bmd to a Caroline Risely in 1875/76 I think which might have been OK if Thomas was born 1877 or thereabouts. But the marriage was somewhere near Essex border with another county so about then I decided to go to bed and haven't done anything since!!
Thanks for your good wishes Pomgolian I'm in mourning tonight for the Hurricanes!!!
Cheers
Marlene

:D Hi Marlene,
I am one step closer to finding my rellies with the help of Sylviasayers :) .
Sorry about the Hurries :( , but the Crusaders are going to take their 5th titlethis year :D :D :D :D :D :lol:

Wow John thank you! I am going to have start collating my info again. Computer gave up the ghost and had to be rebuilt, Imoved cities and brain is still in a whirl!
This info would tie nicely with what I have got.
Any chance you can find Find Vincent & Hannah Ward? In 1881 and 1901 in Millward St Aston but seemed to move in 1891 could be anywhere.
Thanks again for your trouble.
Marlene

Thanks mate!
Grateful for any hints so will give it a go. Sorry we trounced you in the netball.... roll on the World Rugby Cup!
Cheers
Marlene

Back