• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fitzwater Howard

Matahari

knowlegable brummie
Hello

Does anyone know of the Fitzwater family? Howard was a home child, and went to Canada in 1929, he returned to England, in 1936, and then went back to Canada, of his own volition, once more returning in 1938.

Apparently, his next course of action was to join the R.A.F

However, there is no information as to Howard's whereabouts, once he returns to England, and he is not mentioned in the Absent Voters list, unlike his brother, Edward.,

Howard was born to my Great Aunt, Sarah Jane Sly and Louis Edward Fitzwater, in 1914, he married Ethel Venables(Nee Pugh), in 1962, and he died in 1972.
If anyone can find out where Howard was living between 1938 and 1955, I would be grateful for your help. Ethel and Howard had no children, but his three surviving brothers and sister, did, although Alfred died in 1947, and his wife remarried. Also, I would appreciate it, if anyone knows of any living friends of the family who might be able to tell me something about Howard's service with the R.A.F. because, at presant that is information it is difficult to get hold of.

Thank you

Hi
You seem to have searched extensively in Birmingham for Howard Fitzwater and come against a brick wall, he may have been living abroad for a while, so maybe writing to the RAF Service records Dept may help give you further information about him. I think there is a charge and you may have to prove you are related.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/links/contacts.cfm

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/viewrecord/5943919/?reference=arrowLinks

The above link shows a record for an H Fitzwater 2nd Lieutenant 1944 Royal Armoured Corps but it may not be the one you are seeking.

Louisa

Welcome to the forum Scott. What a great record of the squadron's missions. Very interesting information. Hopefully Matahari will see your post. As rear gunner, Sgt Fitzwater would have had to have had nerves of steel. Viv.

Back