• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fisherman or sailor

alanfisher202

master brummie
Help please,
I am trying to locate my Grandfather on the 1871 and 1881 census,he was either a sailor or fisherman,he married a lady from Hull,I am also guessing that he was at sea during these times,having said that, I would have thought a record would have been keep for census records,any help or advise would be a help.
His name was Edward Hurlstone born either in Harbourne or Kings Norton
Alan (Help the aged)

His year of birth would be a help, Alan...as would his wife's full maiden name & date of marriage.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY LlOYD,
Edwards date of birth was 1852,his wifes maiden name was Sarah Lavinia Shaw(she was born in Hull 1858) their marriage took place 1889 in Hull (9d 352)
As I have mentioned cannot trace him in the 1871 and 1881 census,cannot trace her in the 1881 census,perhaps no details where kept when sailors or fishermen
where at sea,he told my mother he used to be on sailing ships,I think whaleing.
Alan

this may be him in 1881 in fawcet st. hull - but he is married

edward earlstone marr. 29 dock labourer b. harborne
lilly earlstone wife 22 born hull

Shera,Well done, if thats not him I will eat my hat,never gave it a thought to try that spelling,well,as they say we live and learn.
Everything checks out, ages, names birth place and I will check the Marriage again,mind you they could have said they were married but where not,this could be,the marriage date I have
seems to be correct (9d 352)
I thought I had hit abrick wall, now you have solved the 1881 problem that as been a big help for my Family history,I will try and sort him out in the 1871 census.
Well done once again.
Alan

hi alan, im very pleased that i have been able to help. i have tried to find him in 1871 but so far no luck :( all the best, shera

Hello Shera,No I cannot find him in the 1871 census either,I have found Lilly aged 13,so maybe he was at sea when the 1871 census was was taken and it wasn't a tall story he told my Mom.
I wonder if any checks and details where taken census wise when sailors or fishermen where at sea.
Alan

Some of mine were sailors, and the only time they've been included on the census was when the ship was moored around the British Isles. I found one where my relative was the ship's master and he had filled in the return for the whole ship and signed it in beautiful copperplate handwriting. Sent a shiver down my spine when I saw it!
I, too, would like to know how they were accounted for when they were at sea, as it would fill in a lot of gaps. The only clue that they were at sea was when the wife describes herself as 'seaman's wife' on the census.

Thanks Seabird,thats interesting,how did you trace your relative who was a ships master,I don't think my Grandfather was as grand as that,Shera found my grandfather in 1881 for me, he was only a dock labourer.
I can well imagine how you must have felt when you saw his wonderful writing,must have been a great thrill,I have also noted what you say about being a seamans wife when they are at see,I have seen that entry myself.
Thanks for your post it has bee a big help.
Alan

Hi Alan - the info came up during random census searches on Ancestry.uk., although there are others I just can't find. Can't find any record of g.g. grandfather's death - presume he died at sea.

The 1861 census showed James Grozier as ships master aboard the 'McClaren' in Cromer, and the same census shows his brother Richard as ship's mate aboard the 'Abyssinian'. All the Sunderland lot seem to have been seafarers - g.g.g. grandfather born in 1796 was a 'keelman', which I understand was a sort of docker - loading and unloading coal using a little boat that looked like a coracle. They seemed to be a rough lot - newspaper reports from the time were full of drunken and rowdy keelmen causing trouble!

This ancestry lark certainly sends you down interesting routes!

Back