• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

First visit to Birmingham in 39 years and came by train.

nickcc101

master brummie
Had to come back to a relatives funeral so chose the train rather than bother with the car, wish I'd used the car. Travelled Redruth Cornwall to Solihull which turned into a nightmare return. Didn't mind the change in Plymouth then the walk from New St to Moor st but the return left a lot to be desired. Solihull to Moor St no problem, New st to Bristol parkway delayed due to flooding in Derby so missed the coach from Bristol to Tiverton, late in At Tiverton so missed the Tiverton to Plymouth train, late in at Plymouth so missed the Redruth train. Journey by car roughly 4 hours, journey by train 8 1/2 hrs, no wonder people don't bother with public transport. Instead of throwing money away on the HS 2 perhaps they should invest in improving the existing network.

My daughter over from America for a visit had the opposite experience, she was visiting her brother in law in Wolverhampton then on to another in Glasgow.

They were going to fly Birmingham to Glasgow but were advised by a travel man to go by train instead as it would be quicker overall, over an hour to get from Wolverhampton to Brum airport, the usual hour plus wait to board the plane, just over an hour flight then another hour from Glasgow airport to the inner city,

The alternative was direct train Wolverhampton to Glasgow Central, book early fare £30 each (Virgin first class), three hours on the train, ten minutes to the station and ten minutes from the station to their destination, picked up by a relative, they said it was a great journey through the countryside.

I'm sure if you're on a direct route without having to change trains at least three times then your journey could be quite enjoyable. We were going to fly Newquay to Birmingham Airport but direct flights finished end of October, alternative was something like a nine hour flight via Ireland at a cost of app £800.

That's the problem with train journeys Nick, there's only one at a time, no overtaking or diverting if the line gets blocked by a fallen tree, flood, busted signals, an accident or a suicide on the track.
Around most tracks they've been having signal and power failures because thieves chop chunks of the copper cables out and flog them for scrap.

Wherever you travel to today, particularly from the South West, it can be difficult. High tides and high seas cause issues for some trains (not London bound ones). the MR inn Somerset had daily multi vehicle accidents and the Gloucestershire part is not much better. Don't mention the M6 (swarf alley) around the West Midlands and the list can go on.......... :eek:

Back