• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Firefox

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I have been using Firefox for ages for browsing the web. Lately it's been prompting me to download the latest version, so I clicked on and left it to get on with it. A message was displayed to say download couldn't be completed - and now it won't load at all :(. I can get on the internet (obviously) via Google or whatever, but want my Firefox back! Anyway, I've got lots of bookmarks on that - including the BHF. Any idea how I can get it back? Tried everything I know (which took about three seconds) including a System Restore (Microsoft updated a couple of days ago) but no luck.
I'm running Windows 7. Ta everso. Charlie Chump x

What a bummer - I was thinking of giving Firefox a try as the new version is suposed to be the cats whiskers. Not much help I am sorry. I used to remove and re-install back when I used it. Now prefer Google Chrome or even (whisper it) IE9. Did you download from the Mozilla site or another? Might be worth trying to load it via Computeractive site or CNet downloads.

Bernie, I've had Firefox for ages without any problems. Downloaded from the Mozilla site I s'pose. If I remove it and re-install it, I'll lose all my bookmarks though, won't I.....and that's really why I want it back, I can't remember some of them (but know they were important)!

I'm hopeless with computers but we have something called "snipping tool" which I think comes with "Windows". I panicked at the thought of losing the bookmarks, so i just tried saving them with it, section by section. If you drop down the bookmarks, the select "snipping tool" the screen goes grey and you can outline the part of the list you want to save and name it. I've used this for photos on the "Web" too.

Hopefully someone can explain this more professionally!!!

Bernie, I've had Firefox for ages without any problems. Downloaded from the Mozilla site I s'pose. If I remove it and re-install it, I'll lose all my bookmarks though, won't I.....and that's really why I want it back, I can't remember some of them (but know they were important)![/QUOT

can't you save everything to a memory stick and then reinstall

Charlie if you can get FF back copy your bookmarks to Chrome or whichever other browser you use. Also as Liz says copy them (when you get back in) onto a memory stick. The MS Snipping tool is fine but it saves as an image not a file from which you can easily reinstall the bookmarks. We need someone more conversant with FF but when I used to used regularly I found if I un-installed it then re-installed it the bookmarks etc were all magically restored which suggests it may leave a folder with bookmarks on the computer but not sure.

In Firefox, if you click on 'History' then 'All History' in the menu bar, a Window called 'Library' pops up and there is an option Import/Export to an html file. Click on export and save the file to your Desktop - easy to find there - and then if you change browsers or reinstall same browser, you can import the file with the same procedure and all your bookmarks float in like magic! The html file can also be dragged from the Desktop onto a memory stick if the bookmarks need to go into another computer.
oldmohawk..
ps...Chrome is my favourite - The latest Firefox seems bloated..

Thing is...I can't get into Firefox at all from my desktop icon, so can't see the bookmarks I've got on there. I think I'll try uninstalling as you suggest Mike and install from filehippo thingy. If I lose the bookmarks, so be it. Will try tomorrow and report back. Many thanks to everyone...I'm a bit of a dummy with computers, though you'd never know it, would you :rolleyes:!

Hi Charlie,
Perhaps your desktop icon is not targeting the correct place.
As a last resort you could click on Start and in the box where it says 'Search programs and files' type Firefox.exe press enter/return key and see if Firefox runs.
If it does not, then off to Control Panel and uninstall and then re-install. It might be time to try Chrome its fast, you can still have Adblock etc. I have both Firefox and Chrome, and I suppose Internet Explorer is there if I wanted to use it.
oldmohawk..:)

I used to love Firefox, but I rue the day I updated to the new version. I find it irritating to hunt in the box in the top left corner for favourites etc & the time wasted. Certainly there is a part of the update I am missing because Kaspersky objected to it, & when Kaspersky refuses I take that seriously.

Firefox 4 uses way too much memory for me (sometimes it gets between 300,000 k and 700,000 k plus!). It hogs, especially when you have loads of tabs open, lots of add ons and plugins running.

Have to kill it in Task Manager before restarting it.

Haven't lost anything like Bookmarks though.

Most add ons are up to date now.

But when Java updates it keeps leaving old versions in the Add on section, even though it's been upgraded.

Just go to C://Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/extensions and delete the old Java folder (will have the number of the old update at the end e.g. 025)

Mike what do I click on on the link you gave to install the earlier Firefox 3.
I had wondered why my computer has slowed down, Ell. It had not occurred to me it might have something to do with Firefox. Pity it did not come with a warning about the implications of upgrading!

Just check Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete (or right click the Task bar and select Task Manager) then click Processes and press Mem Usage twice. Firefox should be at the top.

Thank you all so much! I'm now back on track with Firefox (NOT the updated one) and all my bookmarks are in place. I uninstalled and reinstalled as Mike suggested and, after an initial panic because it kept coming up as MSM (?) I managed to get back to Firefox start page. I'm everso 'appy - but won't be updating!

I am also out of date :) so I'll stick with the old version. Maybe it was because the update failed (goodness knows why) that it refused all communication with my laptop. Well....see if I care, I'm sticking with the one I've got back and not moving forward to Firefox 4. I also remembered to back up my bookmarks - don't faint!

Thank you, Ell. I am afraid my software is different to yours.
Yes, I considered using restore, Eric, but I do not want to lose other updates but thank you for your kind thought.

When you update, all your plugins / add ons get updated. At first some were incompatiable, but they later released fixes / updates.

Only the latest version is available from the Firefox homepage

I just upgraded to FF5 then saw your post...:(
Briefly what damage did it do?
I am running with Adblock and Noscript and Linux'
Proceeding with caution..:)

Well there are over 16 million recorded complaints about Firefox 4, they have just released Firefox 5, and are planning to release Firefox 6 in September! :shocked:

FF4 was giving me problems so I updated to FF5 - I don't recommend it! All support live chat lines appear to be overwhelmed and I haven't managed to connect yet.

Currently Google Maps has stopped working in IE, FF and Opera 11.11. This could be a problem with Google Maps or upgrading to FF5 may have removed or corrupted something. I am still investigating and resent the amount of wasted time that these people cause me.

Maurice :cool:

I just upgraded to FF5 then saw your post...:(
Briefly what damage did it do?
I am running with Adblock and Noscript and Linux'
Proceeding with caution..:)
For some reason it seemed to but a load of files in my Dropbox and kept updating them . Reinstalled 3 and all my bookmarks etc. A number of the addons I uses regularly were not suitable for 5

I just upgraded to Firefox 5 as well. No more updates for version 4.

So far it is ok. Apart from those extentions that are incompatable again (won't be too long until they are FF5 compatiable).

OK, the problem with Google Maps appears to have been a Google problem as it is now working satisfactorily on all browsers on both of our machines - Windows 7 and XP.

I too have two add-ons that are deemed unsuitable for FF5. It looks as though some people at Mozilla need to get their act together! For the time being I will set Opera 11.11 as my default browser as that has not reported any problems so far. I've never managed to get Safari to work satisfactorily under XP and gave that the boot months ago!

Maurice :cool:

I've just given FF5 a workout side by side on the same screen with Chrome and it lost out on all tests. I'll leave it in the back of my 'puter but carry on with Chrome.

Back