• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Firefighters Medal

jdknole

proper brummie kid
After my grandfather Alfred THACKER (incredibly one of 22 children) died in the late 60's my mother gave me his medal which he had apparently got as a fireman in Brum during WWII. The medal has a purple ribbon and is embossed with the insignia of the National Fire Brigade Union. The reverse is inscribed with 'Long Service' and it looks like there is a space for a name but there is no further inscription. I've since learned that the NFBU was a professional body, not a trades union.

My mother also gave me what appears to be some sort of silver pendant which looks like it was on a chain a some point. All the inscriptions have worn off with handling and age. It has a hallmark for Birmingham 1907 and the makers mark WHH which appears to be William Hair HASELER. The only other marking I can make out is a stamped serial number 2304726 but I've no idea what it means. Cromwell has suggested that it might have come from the Temperance Society or similar organisation. Does anyone recognise it?

I believe this pendant is also connected with my grandfather but I'm not sure.

I'd love to learn more about the medal and the medallion. Can anyone help? Are there any service records relating to firefighters during WWII still in existence anywhere?

Interesting, William Hair Haseler (1822-1909) was my gt gt grandfather, a jeweler he would have been 85 in 1907.

Back