• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Finnemore

Mr Zippy

master brummie
Hi,

Looking for any information on the Finnemore family in the early 1800s. My ancestor Joseph Moseley married Ann Finnemore in the 1830s in Edgbaston. Her mother was Eliza. Trade directories suggest the finnemores in Edgbaston were clock dial makers. Information may provide clue as to my ancestor's occupation.

Thanks.

You could contact the genealogist Joyce Finnemore of BMSGH.

Ann

i have found the marriage

21.4.1833 joseph moseley and ann finnemore

only other info wit. eliza finnemore and joseph moseley

marr took place at st. bartholemew edgbaston

found this baptism which seems relevant to you

eliza daughter of william and catherine finnemore b. 23.4.1832

chr. 24.5.1832 at st. martins

islington row clock dial maker

also alfred son of william and catherine finnemore b. 13.5.1828

chr. 7.6.1828 st. martins islington row clock dial maker

and rebecca daughter of william and catherine finnemore b. 10.6.1830

chr. 21.1.1831 st. martins islington row clock dial maker

Anne is she on Radio WM with Edd doolan?. Do listen in to that but my neighbour used to have a frien d by that name who lived in Sutton Coldfield about twenty years ago. Jean.

There is a company named Baker and Finnemore in the Jewellery Quarter, they now import fasteners............How sad to have to import such things to this area!

Baker and Finnemore. The company was established in James Street, just near St Paul's Square, in 1850. In the 1840s a Daniel Baker was making pens in Icknield Street West, whilst Evans and Finnemore were pen makers in Legge Lane. Whether these were the same Baker and Finnemore I don't know, but it seems likely. What is known is that Joseph Finnemore had earlier worked for George Wells. Although they now give their address as Newhall Street, I would imagine they are still on the original site, since the premises back on to James Street and there is an entrance there. Their pens, which were branded 'Bak-Fin', were sold worldwide. The company is still very much in business in its Newhall Street premises, but no longer makes pens (see 'The pen makers' sidelines', right-hand column). Informaton from the Pen Room website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Jean, that is the lady I was referring to. She does the family history phone in with Ed.

Ann

You are all referring to Joyce Finnemore she is the genealogist from the BMSGH. (Birmingham Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry)

Oh I am sorry Ann, I should practice what I preach and read all posts!:(

There is a company named Baker and Finnemore in the Jewellery Quarter, they now import fasteners............How sad to have to import such things to this area!

Baker and Finnemore. The company was established in James Street, just near St Paul's Square, in 1850. In the 1840s a Daniel Baker was making pens in Icknield Street West, whilst Evans and Finnemore were pen makers in Legge Lane. Whether these were the same Baker and Finnemore I don't know, but it seems likely. What is known is that Joseph Finnemore had earlier worked for George Wells. Although they now give their address as Newhall Street, I would imagine they are still on the original site, since the premises back on to James Street and there is an entrance there. Their pens, which were branded 'Bak-Fin', were sold worldwide. The company is still very much in business in its Newhall Street premises, but no longer makes pens (see 'The pen makers' sidelines', right-hand column). Informaton from the Pen Room website.

Baker & Finnemore actually manufacture the fasteners and export throughout the World - indeed they have recently linked up with NASA in the USA and their fasteners will go onto the Rover for their 2020 Mission to planet Mars to search for life. You are correct the Finnemore in Evans & Finnemore and Daniel Baker are the same people - both worked for George Wells and made several attempts to open their own pen manufacture in the 1840's before linking up to buy out The wealthy German born Charles Wagner in 1850. Finnemore died in 1874. Baker became at one time chairman of the Balsall Heath Local Board before it became part of Birmingham. He also became Vice President of the Secular Society. His son is buried in Cincinnati USA, Baker died in 1897. The firm came into the hands of the Barnwell Family, eventually John Barnwell sold to the Management led by Derek Sharp who had been Works Manager. They in turn sold to the German Titgemeyer Group placing it back where it started in German ownership.

Baker and Finnemore - famous for 'Starlock Washers. My sister worked for the company in the 1960s, based in Newhall Street.

Back