• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

finding old head stones

celia

master brummie
dose anybody know how to go about find a head stone or cemetary of a past relative
i have just recently found that my great grandfather lost a child at 2 years old he name was leah louisa morrall and she died in 1882
i have no idea where in brum she is buried if she has a grave on her own or was buried in a paupers grave and i would dearly love to find her so i can place some flowers there
if anybody could point me in the right direction on how to go about finding leahs burrial place i would be very greatfull
celia

Celia, this is a difficult one. First work out where the family were living and what religion they were i.e. C of E, Baptist, Catholic, etc. Then you will have to look at burial registers held at Birmingham Library. All burials are registered and a grave number so from this you can find a private or public grave. The date you have given is more likely to be in a cemetery like Witton. It can be a long haul but it can also be rewarding if you find others buried in the same grave or area. I found the grave of my great grandfathers first child who died in 1863 aged two of diptheria and from that found 13 other members. Good Luck Wendy.

thankyou moma p i will have to pop into brum and see if i can find leah i have photos of my dads headstone and my nan and grandads headstone but thats all ive got (dose that sound morbid to you) i use them as records
once again many thanx for the info

No Celia, I have lots of photo's of family headstones. If you want to send me details names area lived etc in a private email I will take a look and see if I can find anything for you.

Back