• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Finding Great Grandfather

mattfinish1

Hello,
I am currently researching my Great Grandfather Albert Tomlinson. He lived in Aston, Witton Street from the 1911 census, and died 20th Feb 1943 aged 63. He was awarded the DCM for his efforts in the Somme and he was given ( I am told) a military funeral by American GI's since all other servicemen were not available.

I would dearly love to find out where he was buried and so far have drawn a blank with the Birmingham Council records for Witton Cemetary.
They have suggested he may be in one of the Parish Graveyards in the Aston area possibly St Pauls.

If anyone has any suggestions i would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Dear Steve, can't help with burial whereabouts, but have found record of DCM and regimental number, which I have transcribed below, I am unable to find army record, will look again later for them.
Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations 1914-1920

A. TOMLINSON,
The Royal Warwickshire Regiment
200020 Sjt. A Tomlinson (Birmingham).
For conspicuous gallantry and fine leadership during a raid. When his platoon was cut off from the platoon commander he rallied them and led them forward and when his platoon commander was wounded he assumed command and carried on bombing the enemy dug-outs. He alone rushed an enemy post, and took the garrison prisoners. He remained in the enemy lines for an hour and a quarter with a few men and did excellent work. Throughout he set a magnificent example to all ranks. (15.11.18).
Hope it helps - bewdley

I've had a look on Findmypast at the parish burials - Watsone Lane, Key Hill and Handsworth are listed there - and he doesn't appear at any of those loactions. I don't know if FMP includes St Pauls or Lodge Hill (though the latter isn't terribly likely for someone living in Aston).

One way forward would be looking at the death announcements in the local papers for the week around his death as they often give the location of the funeral. If someone is going to the library, they may look for you (not sure Im going this week, or I would do it)

Hi,
Thanks for your responses, I have a copy of his medal card and death certificate but sadly still no luck with his service record either.
A great idea to search the local papers for his death notice, it also might be an idea to search for his wife Amy's (nee Marklew) grave as they might be together?

I am hoping to visit the Royal Warwickshire Regiment museum in a few weeks time so it would it would be nice to visit him at the same time if possible!

Many thanks again.

Steve

Have you tried Witton Cemetery you could send an email they may help as you have the date of death. It may also be worth thinking he could have been cremated at this time. I would try Witton though.

Back