• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fighting Cocks Moseley

Mike Fisher

Billesley Boy
Can you give me a date for the old black and white photo that I believe to be of Moseley Village but it don't look like that today as the Fighting Cocks is there now.
where is the fighting cocks.jpg Capture2.JPG

Hi Mike

I have the same photo dated 1920, I'm not about to swear that is the right date as I have learnt to accept that not all information with old photos is always right. I think it is a little older than that.

Mike

The date has to be earlier than stated on my photo because the replacement Fighting Cocks shown in your second photo was built c1900.

Here,s a view from a different angle, but same era. maybe someone can date it from the police man's uniform.moseley village.jpg

could be can't find a date for the replacement online !!!!

Mike

I think you will find that the date of the 2nd Fighting Cocks that was built to replace the original one was in fact 1889. Here is a photo of the original public house and a drawing of the one that replaced it, which was also moved a little I would imagine to allow the old one to continue trading whilst the replacement was built. This makes your photo prior to 1889.

Attachments

• Moseley Village Fighting Cocks (2).jpg
    Moseley Village Fighting Cocks (2).jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Moseley Fighting Cocks 1889.JPG
    Moseley Fighting Cocks 1889.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 23

Victorian Buildings of Birmingham says it was built in 1899. While the Grade II listing says 1903.

The pub in post #5 is The Bulls Head - seen here with the now closed Barclay's Bank

The pub in post #5 is The Bulls Head - seen here with the now closed Barclay's Bank (Quote)

I did mean the view of moseley from a different angle. does anyone know what the wood and glass structure is at the side of the road, all the best Michael.

The little hut was a shelter for cabmen. This has come up on the forum before, but some time ago before the hacking. Below is an etching of the inside of a shelter of this type, though in this case I think in London

inside_cabmans_shelter.jpg

Back