• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Field / ray

are there any specific names to look for as there as so many fields and quite a lot of rays to look through?

just looking at the first page of fields on the 1901 census there is a daniel field aged 74 in the workshouse infirmary bham. also on the 1901 on first page is a john and caroline ray aged 82 and 74 in the bham workhouse and a francis ray aged 63 in aston union workhouse.

im sure there must be many more so if you have any christian names it would help a lot :)

that was good luck that i hit on caroline then :)

she is aged 74 widow retired shirt seamstress b. bham

no joseph ray, and only 1 george ray aged 40 in aston union workhouse but he was b. smethwick.

cant see any george or joseph field in workhouses. im just looking for "inmate" which is what they were usually called.

caroline almost certainly died in the workhouse but the only way you will find out is to order the certificate. this looks like the one

caroline ray b. abt 1825 died 1902 apr-jun aged 77 bham 6d 116

its dreadful isnt it. i have a few from my tree who died in the workhouse and i could cry for them. :(

the "good old days" :crying2:

cry yeah its shocking.....I would give anything to go back like doctor who just for one day and see all my rellies....IMAGINE IT.

Back