• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

FAO: Residents of Chelmsley Wood (past and present).

I think it used to have a roman centurion on the sign. I am sure it did in the 80s.
I vaguely remember a Roman centurion on it during the 90’s. I wonder why they changed it to a tank? I’m guessing there’s a tank called centurion.. but why bother with the change? ‍♂️

I vaguely remember a Roman centurion on it during the 90’s. I wonder why they changed it to a tank? I’m guessing there’s a tank called centurion.. but why bother with the change? ‍♂️
Maybe because all the locals knew it as the Tank

Hi,
I dont know if you are interested but I have created a group called Kingshurst Comprehensive Class of 1976. There may be people on this group that you know and would like to reach out to or submit some comments etc. It is a public group so you do not have to join if you do not want to but you can still see our posts and photos.

i have just come back on the forum after being of for a few years and came across your post reguarding Baldys Mansion on kingshurst i never knew it as that i knew it as old wallys farm, it was in fact owned by Walter Townsend who lived there by himself and his jack russell dogs who used to chase you if you went to near his house, After birmingham council bought all his land for housing he was moved to castle bromwich where he lived until passed away.
You could still possibly find photos on this forum of the mansion, there is also a video on youtube that covers the building of the estate, Happy years living there!
Philbee.
I think you may be confusing Baldy's Mansion (Sheldon Hall) with Kingshurst Hall... Baldy's Mansion was off Gressle Lane, Tile Cross and Kingshurst Hall was where the 4 or 5 blocks of flats are now at Kingshurst Way.

Attachments

• Kingshurst Hall 06.jpg
    Kingshurst Hall 06.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Baldies Mansion - Sheldon Hall 1991.jpg
    Baldies Mansion - Sheldon Hall 1991.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 10
Not sure if you are still around Bradford, or if you are still interested in Chelmsley Wood. Anyway a good friend of mine was the Youth Leader at The Forum Youth Club for a number of years, this would have been in the mid 1970's. I used to spend time there helping him as I lived very close.
Yes I remember the forum I can't remember who the youth leaders was to long ago lol

Back