• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Famous people.

I was never a great fan of balladeers, but "Halfway To Paradise" and "I'll Never Find Another You" have distinct echoes of growing up in a world somewhat less crazy than the one we live in now....I bought both of these records for my first girl-friend. Awwwww!

Big Gee

Jacob Epstein was a sculptor. There's a permanent exhibition of his work in Walsall Art Gallery.

Charlie, I knew he was a scultor but I did not knowabout the exhibition, thanks for the info.

I hope someone can help with this one. The photo is of a man listed as 'Dimitri Shepilov'. 1956.
The only reference I found after a quick search was of a man named Dmetri Shepilov. The chritian name has a slightly different spelling. The second one was a Russian Politician and tried to oust Nikita Kruschev in 1957.
I have no idea if they are the same person or not.

Good God, Eve Boswell. I have forgotten a lot of them but if I hear the name it all comes flooding back again. I looked through my pictures but I don't have one of her. There was also Alma Cogan, Anne Shelton, Patti Page and many more. Yesterdays radio was better than todays T.V.

Hi Trevor I remember Alma Cogan and her array of dresses. I used to wish my mom could afford clothes like hers. Bye. Jean.

Hi Jean: You really are having a record sort out. If you put Eve Boswell's name in Youtube you can hear all her famous hits. I particularly remember
"Pickin a Chicken".

Alam Cogan was great and both men and women loved her singing and
those gorgeous dresses. Gone too soon.

Kime is that you with Billy Fury?. Naje.

Fraid not Neaj I was better looking;), I only got the pics cos my dear wife was soft on Billy Fury. If I want to wind her up I only have to say "that poor old Billy Fury, he never looked a well man" and then things start flying round the room:D
Ekim

Imke have found one of her records will pop upstairs and find out which one as I have forgot. Well it was five hours ago. Jnae.

It is on a Brunswick record Oceans Apart Judy Garland with Victor Young and his Orchestra. I have a very old book with some lovely coloured photographs of the old stars in. Will sort it out. Jean.

This is George Bernard Shaw in 1939. He was an Irish playwright. He died in 1950 age 94.

Cary Grant. I was going to say"One for the ladies", but Ingrid Bergman is with him

Hi Stitch, Ing rid Bergman now there a real beauty for you, the twin daughters she had were the same only in a differant sort of way their father being Italian.Made me smile when I saw Paul Newman being
interviewed some time ago now, they asked him why he never had affairs
with all the beautiful women he had worked with, and he said would you go for a
beefburger if you had got steak at home? He meant of course his wife of
many years Joanne Woodwood. Bye Bernard:cool:

Bernard, they were all great compared to todays stars. Famous people today seem to lack a certain quality and are devoid of charisma.

Robert, that is the very same man. Ha Ha.
I doubt anyone will know this one. Someone will google it ang give us all the info. I have never heard of him, I don't think.
I have him listed as Salvado Dali. 1955.

Salvadore Dali, famous surrealist painter from Spain. Painted a lot of wiggly clocks and such - that's me being very technical!
Bit like Heronimus Bosch stuff - George Melly was a great admirer of Dali's paintings. Hmmmmmm.

Charlie, thanks for that but it still does not ring any bells for me.

From Tiger Bay, Cardiff, it's singer Shirley Bassey seen here in the 1960's and is still looking and singing pretty much the same now.

Mike, I think she is/was great, although I have not seen/heard her for ages now.

Hello Hockleybrook, I have seen her several times over the years and I always considered her concerts to be extremely good value for money. She is/was such a dedicated artiste.

I know this thread is about famous people but I must comment on the film in this post. OUT OF THE PAST. How could a film be produced today with this ammount of talent from such a number of famous people?
Robert Mitchum. Jane Greer. Kirk Douglas. Rhonda Fleming. Richard Webb. Steve Brodie. Virginia Huston. Warren Duff. Jaques Tourneur. What a film, but what a cast.

Here is two for the price of one, it's a young Hayley Mills and not so young Maurice Chevalier.
Remember his "Zank evan for little girls" ? Ah yes I remember it well.

Back