• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Famous Ex-Pupils

deritendboy

Brummie babby
I attended Moseley Secondary School of Art in the early Sixties, And although I knew that Roy Wood was there also at that time, I have recently discovered that members of The Rockin Berries (before my Time there) and UB40 (since), amongst other talented musicians that also went to the school.
This set me thinking are there other City schools that seem to excel in certain areas, perhaps Sport or Literature?
Just a thought.
Regards.

I've discovered that Jacki Piper (of Carry On film fame) went to Lakey Lane School in Hall Green. Nigel Mansell attended Hall Green Secondary and Gil Merrick attended Acocks Green J+I. Then Jasper Carrott's mom worked at the latter as a cleaner too.

Sir George Edwards, OM, CBE, FRS, DL (9th July, 1908 – 2nd March, 2003), the world-renowned aircraft designer and industrialist, is an ex-pupil of Bordesley Green Boys' Technical School.

Oh and of course, a few famous faces went to King Edwards, formally New St, now Edgbaston. Tolkien, Enoch Powell, Bill Oddie, Edward Burne-Jones.

The author of the Jack Reacher novels - Jim Grant under the pen name Lee Child lived in Cherry Orchard

No personal experience (except that Ozzy Osborne and Tony Iommi were at Birchfield Road Boys Senior school for a couple of years I was at Birchfield Juniors).
Two of my cousins were at Great Barr Comp at the same time as Steve Winwood, he was a couple of years younger than them but they remembered him from playing the piano at school.

Back