• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fairlanes bowling alley.

Have not a clue Alf, My brother has now moved away & is not to well these days, I will try to find out from his wife,who as I have said bowled as well.
We are also away for the next few days.WOOLACOMBE bound at last , have been trying to get away all year but with all that as gone on within our family this year & thing always putting a block on any plans at the last min;
We will be glad to have this break even if only for a few days.
Thanks for your email re email tips.

Last edited:
Bit late to reply but I bowled at Fairlanes Aston in the early sixties. Our team was The Tenpin Twisters...Barry Thomas, Nick Barratt,Clarissa Baron,and I think Nikki Nixon.I think the Autospares team were probably the oldest team in Brum started by I think Brian Brewer from Brewers Autospares Erdington

Barry Pete remembers the team but not the individuals. I remember Nicki Nixon but she was not renowned for her bowling I am afraid. Do you remember The Animals?.

Spot on Autospares were a Brian Brewer team Sponsered by AUTOSPARES of Erdington My brother David Jenney bowled for them as well as Villa park A / BREW ELEVEN bowling teams.

I used to bowl for Johnny and The Lawmen based at The Warwick Bowl, I played several times at Wylde Green and Warley and we used to visit RAF and USAF bases at Croughton and Upper Heyford. We did travel further afield to USAF bases as well. The teams from the Air Force bases used to play return matches at The Warwick but we were let down by the management because whilst we were treated really well at the bases, especially the American ones, the Warwick struggled to give the visitors a coffee each. I remember Brewers Autospares and I am sure any of their players would remember my boss from those days, John Law of W.J.Law and sons. Builders and Demolition from Acockcs Green. I think I have said before that in recorded play I struck out in every frame except the last one when I scored nine spared. The perfect game in recorded play was rewarded with a fortnight in the States and £500 cash. On the next match night Miki & Griff were present to watch our match and after the game they took me into town for a meal to compensate for missing the perfect game by such a small margin. I really enjoyed their music and it was such a shock when they were bought over to the lane we were playing and we were introduced.

Belated Happy New Year to everybody.
I used to bowl at Wylde Green in The Morris Commercial League one night per week and at Acocks Green when they closed Wylde Green. I also used to play at Villa Park on a Sunday morning with a team of 3 other mates. We called ourselves The Triffids. Happy Days.

Yes Dave happy days. We only finished bowling a couple of years ago and enjoyed it even more. When they closed Fairlanes they would not allow you to empty your lockers which I don't think would happen these days?. I remember the American and watched him bowl Trevor. My bowling began when I was forty plus as if you can't beat em join em. I made the county team after I was fifty and loved travelling round the country. Will mention the team names to Pete in the morning Dave and Trevor.

Back