• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

'face as long as livery street'

Postie you have reminded me of the time I told a colleague he was illiterate. He very nearly thumped me because he thought I meant his mother was not married. His words were "You can insult me but don't insult my Mam" (he was from Hereford). I collapsed with laughing as he had proven my point. How I got out alive I am not sure but had the gift of the gab in such situations.

That reminds me of the Roman Catholic lass who said to her mother "Mother I have to tell you I have become a prostitute"

Her mother fainted but when she recovered she said "Tell me it is not true"

The daughter said, "I am sorry I have become a prostitute."

The mother then said, "Thank, the Lord. I thought you said Protestant"

Old Boy

Back to dear old Livery Street, I think the expression came because it was not only very l o n g and but also absolutely s t r a i g h t.
Plus the fact that you had the length of Snow Hill station and its approaches on one side. It's not been the same since the trams went in 1939, but that's another story.
Peter

hi all
my dad always used that saying" you got a face as long as livery street" and "you look like you lost a shilling and found sixpence"
paul

My dad always used to say there was a street missing in Birmingham' Henrietta Street' we always fell for that joke.

Back