• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

F Birch, The Noted Tea Rooms

ChrisElse

Brummie babby
Hello, would someone be able to advise when this business existed and where it was please. I believe it may have been in Winson Green. Thank you for any help received.

Hello, the name was possibly Florence BIRCH. I have a photo of "Aunt Florrie Birch" standing in the doorway of the shop with one of her sons, Her dress and pinafore are just about ankle boot length and judging from the sons possible age it could be around 1903 to 1908. Above the shop doorway was the name "F Birch" and on the shop window were the words "The Noted Tea Rooms" . The family lived in the Winson Green area at one stage, also Aberdeen Street and Pitsford Street. Hope this helps.

Hello Chris are you able to scan and attach your photo it may help people to remember the location and family as well as adding to B,hams History.Dek

Hello Chris, I have a Florence Birch in my family tree - Florence born 9th June 1874 christened 28th June 1874 Bishop Ryder church, Birmingham, parents Richard and Elizabeth nee Ball (my g.g. grandparents) on the 1881 census they were living at 65 Gt. Hampton Street, with children
William 25 - b. Coventry - Hairdresser
Elizabeth 17 Button Maker
Richard 14 (my g. grandfather)
David 13
Florence 6
Richard senior was a Fishmonger
The 4 younger children were all born in Birmingham and still at school.
Do you think we could be related? I would love to see the photo of your Aunt Florrie.

In the 1912 directory 68 Winson Green Road is a coffee rooms run by Alfred Stephens next to Bryant Rd
In 1908 directory 68 is Midland Laundries Ltd

Hello Chris, I have a Florence Birch in my family tree - Florence born 9th June 1874 christened 28th June 1874 Bishop Ryder church, Birmingham, parents Richard and Elizabeth nee Ball (my g.g. grandparents) on the 1881 census they were living at 65 Gt. Hampton Street, with children
William 25 - b. Coventry - Hairdresser
Elizabeth 17 Button Maker
Richard 14 (my g. grandfather)
David 13
Florence 6
Richard senior was a Fishmonger
The 4 younger children were all born in Birmingham and still at school.
Do you think we could be related? I would love to see the photo of your Aunt Florrie.

Hi,

Sorry, my Aunt Florrie was born in 1868, daughter of John Birch b 1848 and Emma Jane Taylor. John was the son of John b Bewdley 1826 and had a number of brothers so maybe there is a connection from one of them.

Chris

Hi there, would this be your Florence in 1901?

1901 census
Samuel Floyd,aged 29 born 1872 B'ham, Refreshment House Keeper
Florence Floyd, Wife aged 26 born 1875 B'ham
Samuel Floyd, Son aged 5 born 1896 B'ham
Martha Floyd,Daughter aged 3 born 1898 B'ham
Ada Floyd,Daughter aged 1 born 1900 B'ham
Ada Turton, Servant Single aged 16 born 1885 Servant Domestic
1901 Address: 29, Wheeler Street, Birmingham

Marriages Sep 1893
Florence Birch Aston 6d 514
Samuel Floyd Aston 6d 514

By 1911 the family had moved to 6 Aston Road North Aston Manor

Hi,

No Sorry, my Florence Birch married James Henry Broad in 1891. I have their marriage cert. birth certs, death certs and birth certs for their 10 children. Also have 1901 census and 1911 census for them. I just find it really frustrating not knowing where and when Florrie ran the "Tea and Coffee House"

LadyLinda, although your information didn't help Chris, it has put another piece in my family tree. F. Floyd was a witness to my grandparents marriage in 1897. Florence was an aunt of my grandma who was born in 1877, so I guess they would have been like sisters.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I looked at my records to see if I could help Chris, I found that on the 1891 census, Florence aged 17 was living with her sister Catherine A.
Birch 32, at 29 Wheeler Street, Fried Fish Shopkeeper. These girls are my grandma's aunts - my gran was also Catherine Anne.

One correction to my previous post Richard Birch junior was not my g.grandfather - I was getting my Ric hard's mixed up, my g. grandfather Was Richard Yates who married Mary Ann Birch. Another sister of Catherine & Florence. (just in case anyone else is researching this family).

Back