• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Explorer Update nightmare.

Richie

Mr.Respectable
Sorry I've not been able to participate with postings for some weeks now, on my home computer (a 2003 Toshiba laptop with Windows XP Home) I can't get any further than IE6 ever.

I always get the message SHRGetValue and SHLAWPI.dll not found.

Please don't tell me I need a new PC-out of the question completely. Would switching to Google Chrome thingy work, or are we talking serious money also?

I'm on Orange Broadband standard if this helps.

Thanks,
Richie.

Try Google Chrome, Apple Safari (for PC) or Firefox. No need to change computer. If they do not work for you come back and we will have another go.

All above are free Richie.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Louisa is correct and you do not have Serice Pack 2 insralled I should be able to find a copy that you could borrow.

Hi Richie
If you google SHRGetValue you will see some advice on there. you will see you need to unenstall internet explorer and reinstall it after running ieradicator. Best you read
up before doing anything first.

Stars

Service pack 2 is downloadable from Windows updates. IIRC, we are currently on SP3. I have mine set to search for and download updates automatically.

I've used Google Chrome for 18 months now, it's nice, fast, no frills if you don't want them, and Firefox is installed if I need it.
I've forgotten what Internet Explorer looks like but I suppose it's there somewhere in my Windows 7.
You can have more than one browser installed and use which one you like on the day.
Bookmarks can be exported or imported from one browser to another.

I've got Google Chrome but rarely use it. I think I removed Safari because it seemed to be causing problems. IE I tend to keep as an easy link, via the home page, for Banking.

For everyday use, I prefer Firefox. Not only do you have multiple Tabs, but you can also have multiple Browsers running, with multiple Tabs. Useful for having, let's say, one set on Ancestry, another on BMD's and OPC's, and another on FS, as an example. And since AOL screwed up their Reminder service, and seemingly, have never bothered to sort it out, Reminder Fox is excellent.

Thank you all so far, I'll give whatever I can of those suggestions in the near future.

Richie.

If you have System Restore enabled and can find a Restore Point earlier than when your computer went wrong, it will put you back to the position you were in before you downloaded the update.

You can then download Service Pack 2 - or 3 preferably - and then let the computer do the update again and all should be well.

I can't remember on XP how to look into System Restore but, no doubt, you can reach it via the Control Panel - maybe someone who is still using XP can post how to do it.

Back