• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Exhibition, Hall of Memory 1945-46

Eddie 14

master brummie
Does anybody remember the display at the side of the Hall of memory roughly around these dates?. There was maybe two aircraft a Search light scanning the sky and various other things on display, the whole area was fenced off with Police guarding it.

Could this have been part of the Exhibition, it's definitely alongside the Hall of Memory and quite close to the end of the war I would think. It's no good asking where I got the photo from as I don't remember. It might have even been this site, by the same token I know nothing about it at all.

Attachments

• City Broad St Captured German Aircraft[1].jpg
    City Broad St Captured German Aircraft[1].jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 368
Phil, nice try, you said near the end of the war, were we still under blackout I think, the the searchlight was on and I do not remember German planes on the site. Maybe V.E day had passed and we were waiting for the Japanese to give up. Thanks anyway, "Where did you find the picture"? I do wish people would date photo's as well.
Baz, what do you think, they transported that one they could have done the Wellington with no problem

I must say I can't remember seeing that aircraft.
I wonder what all those well dressed kids found so interesting in that hole ?
I think the Wellington was a bit bigger than the Heinkel, Eddie but I imagine that if they took the wings off during transportation they'd move it around the country quite easily.

Phil, I am not sure but I do not think that scene is at the side of the Hall of Memory, if you remember there was a street there alongside Bingley Hall. Looking at the photo there are cars parked at a higher level than the main picture, I don't know to be honest!!
I cannot find this site only from my email,"Why"
Dave

Looking at the photo of the Heinkel, a light bulb came on in my head.( Allbeit a dim one !).
Where any enemy planes ever shot down over the city ? That bomber looks a bit battered, to say the least and there doesn't seem to be any other exhibits in view.

Back