• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memories : Essence Of The 50s And 60s

Did the dustmen used to use the smaller version to empty the bins? I remember them carrying something on their backs down the "entry".
rosie.

Thanks Pete, we put tadpoles or sticklebacks in ours after the bathroom was built on where the coalhouse and outside toilet were!
rosie.

we used ours untill we moved to a house with a bathroom in 1966. it was left hanging on the wall out side.

I bought a lovely one from The World Travel centre a few years back .... needed it as we were going to Africa in Monsoon Season!!!
At the moment I am carrying a pacamac poncho from Thomas Land in my bag!!!

Marmite was/is definitely made from what's left over after brewing beer. The main factory was (maybe still is) in Burton-on-Trent, which was noted for brewing (and still is, thankfully). I had a customer (a large steel foundry) right opposite the Marmite factory on Wellington Road, and the smell of Marmite was unavoidable. Fortunately, I liked the smell, but plenty of people didn't.

A real treat when I was a nipper was for Mom to make toast, spread it with beef dripping, and then dot it with Marmite! Probably as unhealthy a snack as you can get, but I loved it.

G
Marmite-Bovrill is still made on Wellington Road, Burton On Trent. Now a UNILEVER company, and the aroma still pervades the air. Mmmmmmm

I just checked, and see that the Berni brothers started the chain, their first restaurant opening in Bristol in 1955. There were about 150 Berni Inns by the mid-1970's, including some in Japan, which came as a surprise to me! Getting British working families out of their kitchens and into restaurants was a major challenge back then, and I suppose the Berni Inns kicked it all off. My mother took a lot of persuading to go and eat out, and I don't think she ever felt comfortable being waited on with food she hadn't cooked herself.

I spent some time in London in my teens, in the mid-1960's, and my favourite 'fast food' restaurants were the Golden Eggs, which I don't recall ever seeing outside London, although I believe there were a few. As the name suggests. they were (sort of) 'egg based', and their breakfasts were great! I do recall that the decor of the London Golden Eggs was rather eccentric, but added to the atmos.

G
They had on e in Oxford Street, which we used to go to, when we lived in London in the sixties.

My main experience with 'blanco' was ceremonial when in the RAF. I would find it all a pain in the proverbial nowadays. :eek: Webbing in the Fire Service was grey - more like boot polish.
When my my No.1 son was around two years old we visited one of my wife's aunts in Paignton one Sunday afternoon. We were in her parlour, unseen the boy had wandered off into her sitting room - you know the place reserved for vicars and other special visitors. :grinning:
He re-appeared leaving a trail of white marks on her hall floor covering. What had happened was the goldfish bowl, with goldfish, which had been on a low table was now on the floor, the goldfish, by now, gasping for life on the carpet! Not sure what he had intended to do but the upshot was the bowl was tipped over and the contents soaked his legs and white plimsolls. Quick action got the bowl filled with water again and the goldfish restored to its life of swimming in circles.

Being Ex-guards, MELTONIAN brings back memories.

We were regular customers at Berni Inns, The New Inn Gloucester, the Rummer in Bristol and the Imperial in Hereford were all on our list.

First and second post, yes. And around Christmas they used to happen at odd times of day, more than twice?

There was a horrible thick pink medicine, but I don't know what it was.

Probably teramycin syrup. The taste of Dr Peppers. Orrible!
Nodd.

1548963379837.png
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?

WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:

• Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Hi, first time I’ve written in. My dear wife (She isn't all that expensive really) :worried: :grinning: sent a note to this thread last Monday, after I’d rambled on to her about my old Austin motor car.
And thank you very much oldMohawk for website showing the Lisles Garage, very pleased. Also interesting reading from Eric Gibson, Phil and Radiorails. I can remember it had white painted pillars between big plate-glass windows and confident it is the right garage.
This motor brings back so many memories including using it for work at Wright & Platt Patternmakers in Irving Street, though I can’t see it mentioned in the Irving Street forum, or by searching in Factories?
If it isn’t listed, would someone kindly say the best place to post and perhaps I can give it the heading: Wood & Metal Patternmakers? In the 50’s I knew a lot of people here, the Foundry entrance was between the houses.
Apologies for going way out of topic!
(Paxtongirl’s Other Half).
We wish you all a Very Merry Christmas
:) :)
Bit late with info on this, but we lived over the road from Wight & Platt. They fronted onto Irving Street and if memory serves there was a personel door onto Speaking Stile Walk. (theres a great name for you)

Back