• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Error 646

earlgary

master brummie
Having trouble downloading Windows updates keep getting error 646, I have googled this and there are lots of soft ware for me to download at a price I assume. Can anyone advise me on what the best course of action to take and what soft ware to download, please keep it simple.

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday to thank you for your reply, visitors arrived and I had to shut down,just got back on line I have tried Yahoo answers closing the firewall but it didn't work, have had a quick look on Microsoft site but haven't come up with anything yet. It must be quite a commom thing as there are so many companies trying to sell soft ware to correct it. Has anyone else had this problem on the forum, if so can you tell me the solution please? Thanks for trying to help oldMohawk I do appreciate the help I get from members on this great site.

You could try using Microsoft Update instead of Windows update, when you get to the update page click "Update History" and look for any that have failed. More information should be available under each failed update along with a link to download the update manually.

Another thing is that if a banner appears at the top of the window saying something along the lines of "blocked content" or "Install active X component" right click the banner and click Allow. Only do this when on the official Microsoft Update page.

Thanks Dave Riley I have sorted the problem and have downloaded the updates, I am like many others frightened of doing the wrong thing its nice to have the forum to check with.

Back