• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington

First tram in Erdington 1907. Destination Steelhouse Lane. Good to see Crawfords Crackers advert on the front - still going strong today. Two nice features of the photo: the lone female on the lower deck and the determined look on the old man's face standing in front of this beast of a tram! Viv.

7y2a2y6y.jpg

So frustrating to browse through this site and find almost all of the photos inaccessible
There are lots of Erdington Photos in the forum's Image Host Coppermine.
The pic shown below (only a link) is the second photo missing from post #26
The search is easy to use apart from entering the correct filenames, eg. the name of the pic below is 'grangerd' maybe unusual !
Not all of them are there but you will find many are.
grangerd.jpg

Re: Erdington Photos

Thanks oldMohawk, I'll try that source. I do have quite a large collection myself and may post some of them here.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry if you read the top of the page you will see that the Forum was hacked which lead to all of the attachments being deleted.

Thanks Carolina, I had seen that. But were there really no back ups so that they could be restored?

--

Terry, Regrettably, the back up file was also corrupted, so all images had to be removed, the current back-up service and other security measures should prevent it happening again, fingers crossed.

Colin

Thanks Colin, that's bad news! :blue:

I've posted 173 files today. Perhaps they could help restore some of the lost files?

(Edit: BTW, how do I sort these on the editing page please? I'd like them in Title order. That gets them into date order as all my file names began with Year. Not clear what order they are in at present?)

Also, the 23 minute video I prepared and uploaded to YouTube
https://youtu.be/d5-xH5wXc_0
contains many of them. Although several users reported that they couldn't play it due to copyright limitations (the old music tracks), it still plays fine for me.

The video is also now available on my Vimeo site, so far with no copyright issues:
https://vimeo.com/73024906

--

Hi Terry,
Yes 38Mbps is nice and you get used to it. I've even started watching Premier League football in HD with their free sports app.
Just tried your Youtube it won't play for me.
oldmohawk

I've posted 173 photos of Erdington today in the Image Hosting section of this site, dated from 1884 to 1985.

Some of the dates are approximate, so any more precise year or other corrections would be welcomed please.

--

We used to meet at the Acorn and then go up the High Street to the Palace and dance to the melancholy sax of Harry Phillips and his band. We always looked forward to the jive session and the session when he played the creep. Or later the tea for two cha cha cha After a while we drifted over to the Carlton, do you remember how the windows in the shop beneath used to bend. I lived in Court Lane and used to catch the S67 Or S76 down to the village, after national service we graduated to the west end and the plaza and on Sundays to the crib in king standing. Those were thedays

A view down Church Road from High Street Erdington. To the left is Erdington Parish Church (St. Barnabas) and to the right is the Green Man pub, later named the Acorn. Today the Acorn is the modern building further down High Street to the right. The picture is from a painting by an unknown painter.

I can't make out the Lych Gate in the painting. Does anyone know the date of the Lych Gate to St. Barnabas Church? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1412873022.566401.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The website for the Acorn says it has been in Erdington for 30 years, I know they are talking about the new Acorn because I had my wedding reception there 53 years ago,.
My memory is not what it was but I always thought that when I got married it was on the corner of Church Road because they had a seperate low building that they used as a function room and it was accessed via Church road,
In 1961 was it there where the original one in the picture is?

Alberta
The Acorn is still listed as being on the corner of Church road in the 1973 Kellys. i must have passed it hundreds of times, but can't quite remember it

The Acorn was on the corner of Church Road. We drank there in the mid fifties to early sixties, it was one of those pubs that looked as if it was built about 1930s. Iy had that pre war modernism look about it.

Lovely set of photo's there Terry.
The shot of BURTONS tailors took me right back to the early 1970's, when my wife and I used to look after the snack bar in the snooker club on the first floor.
Happy days.

Do recall the youth club on Monday evenings held in the rooms over the Co-oP in the High St during the mid 60's ? Run by the local Labour Party I assume - not that us teenagers had any interest in politics, only the opposite sex and the record player.

Terry, wonderful, great chunks of my childhood were there, especially the front counter of the library and the trams on the Sutton New road.

Would this coffee/milk have been Gardners?

Is there something I'm missing, or is there really no way to identify to whom a 'Reply' is addressed?

If AMJ is asking me, about something in the video, then could you amplify please?

Terry, East Grinstead

Sorry for the confusion Terrypin,I meant to put Gardners milk BAR just up from Burtons menswear,we saw it on your great video.
My mother used to take me shopping on a saturday, always stopped there and had a milkshake and toast in the 50's.
I remember the High St very well.

Hi Alberta: I am so glad that you remember Dick's in the High Street. The only other person other than locals of my era who knew about Dick's was a
lady whom I met here in Vancouver when we had a mini Fentham Girls reunion with four of us who had come together through the Internet after our Centenary Reunion at Sutton Town Hall in April 2004 which I was lucky enough to attend. Beryl lived in Reservoir Road across from the Cottage Homes and went to the National School located in the High Street. Beryl's Aunt and Uncle were Manager's of a club located close to the Pavillion Cinema at Wylde Green, called the Anstey Club. The Club used to order all their cakes from Dick's which were served at dinners and dances, etc. The quality was excellent if I remember....Cream Horns and Merangues were my favourite.

The Coffee Bar that you have mentioned was called El Toro and it came
into being after the expresso coffee bars in town got going. They have been mentioned on this site before. It was very close to the Church House and the Dolcis shoe shop. It was always a squeeze to get in there. Basically, it was a residential house that had been converted. The coffee was 9d per cup and was made in the traditional espresso machines.
We all thought it was a very special scene. The music came from
a juke box which played all the hits of the time. There was an upstairs
area as well. One night in l958 I met my first serious boyfriend in there and we went out for four years. Lovely memories Alberta.

Hi Jennyann,

I know this quote is from a while ago but I'm very interested to hear any more you know about the Anstey Club. I live quite close to where the Pavilion used to be and we're getting together all the local history of this area which we tend to call 'Little Boldmere'. I went to the cinema and the bowling alley before they were demolished to make way for housing.

By the way, my husband's Nan worked at Dicks in Erdington, probably in the 1950's.

Also I was at Erdington Grammar 1958-1963. Where you there then? (or am I confusing my quotes and should be asking Alberta?) Do you remember Miss Mole, Miss Gawley, Miss Bushrod? I still see some of my friends and we were saying how old these teachers seemed and yet they must've retired at 60 so were far younger than we are now. How times change!

Back