• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington Streets

I lived in Pype Hayes Road (1938-1952) and may have one or two photos of our house But getting them on to the computer is another thing!!! will try though

Froth , ive got a few photos of trams in pype hayes, but youve probably seen them, let me know.

Froth , ive got a few photos of trams in pype hayes, but youve probably seen them, let me know.

I've seen photos of trams in Pype hayes before.
The photos of Erdington you've put on just lately, I never seen before, so give it ago.

O.k.,froth. I didn't want to repeat any,you know how touchy some can be if you repeat yourself(old age and bad memory)
so hope you havent seen these.

O.k.,froth. I didn't want to repeat any,you know how touchy some can be if you repeat yourself(old age and bad memory)
so hope you havent seen these.

Nice, I personally haven't them photos
Funny that, only last week, me and me bro was discussing where did the trams terminated, was it there at the Bagot or further down where the 66 turned round.

That looks like me Dad getting of the tram in the third photo.
Don't remember him using the Bagot, he used the Navi.

The trams stopped just before Chester Road island, frothy, where those photos were taken. The 66 bus route terminus was in the same place when it replaced the Pype Hayes trams on 4th July 1953, but on 11th October of the same year it was extended via Eachelhurst Road to Hansons Bridge Road.

The trams stopped just before Chester Road island, frothy, where those photos were taken. The 66 bus route terminus was in the same place when it replaced the Pype Hayes trams on 4th July 1953, but on 11th October of the same year it was extended via Eachelhurst Road to Hansons Bridge Road.

Thank you Lloyd.

I never went drinking along the Tyburn Road, but I was on the last 79 car to leave Pype Hayes on Saturday 4 July 1953 (a day after my 20th birthday, standing next to the driver, my neighbour Gerry Thompson who later gave me his copy of "The Electric Tramcar Handbook", by W A Agnew, dated 1911, with his name and the date 3/1925. I still have it of course. The introduction is fascinating, as few people had any idea what electricity was in those days, and it must have been a bit reassuring to haver a book that would probably tell him a bit more than he had been told before, or repeating things which he may have missed in his training.
Peter

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do seem to remember that at certain times the 79 tram used to run past the terminus and go a short way down the Eachelurst road. the house on the right at the terminus was DR Pilgrims surgery. I caught the 79 at the first stop after the terminus, Marshbrook Road

Bill, you mention Dr Pilgrim's surgery. When I lived on Tyburn Road 1953 - 1967ish, I'm sure our Doctor was Pilgrim but we went to see him in the front room of a house just a few doors up towards the Bromford Lane junction. I remember falling of a horse, my one and only attempt, and spraining my wrist. He told me to put my hand on his desk and he proceeded to twist it, saying, "nothing's broken".

Other than that our family thought he was great.

David, you maybe right, but I can only remember seeing him at the surgery at the corner of Chester RD and Tyburn RD, that was in the late 30s, he was a big(or seemed to be to me!)coloured man, I remember he charged 2/6p for a call out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do seem to remember that at certain times the 79 tram used to run past the terminus and go a short way down the Eachelurst road. the house on the right at the terminus was DR Pilgrims surgery. I caught the 79 at the first stop after the terminus, Marshbrook Road

Sorry, coopbill, I think that if a tram did ever run past the terminus, it would demolish the two 'tensioning' poles that supported the overhead, climb the walled island on Chester Road (and fall off the other side) and chew up a fair bit of the Eachelhurst Road tarmac. See the pic (published previously) to see what I mean. The Bagot pub across Chester Road is in the background.
It certainly wouldn't be in any state to run back again afterwards if it did!
Marshbrook Road is the first road along Chester Road, not used by trams - did you use Padstow Road stop, that was first after the terminus.

Lloyd, I must be going (or gone) senile, but I'm sure it was Marshbrook Road that I caught the 79, I know padstow road, St; Marys church, I do not recall the tram stopping there, in fact if I just missed a tram I would run up to the terminus to keep warm. perhaps one of the forum members have a A-Z from the 1930-40s just prove what my wife has been telling me----"your barmy".

Hi Bill
Maybe Dr Pilgrim had 2 surgeries? Or maybe he lived in Tyburn Road by us. Or, more likely, I'm imagining it! Yes, I remember him as this large, round black man.

Lloyd, I must be going (or gone) senile, but I'm sure it was Marshbrook Road that I caught the 79, I know padstow road, St; Marys church, I do not recall the tram stopping there, in fact if I just missed a tram I would run up to the terminus to keep warm. perhaps one of the forum members have a A-Z from the 1930-40s just prove what my wife has been telling me----"your barmy".
Oh, I would never suggest such a thing - quietly glance at https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...52.521835,-1.80871&spn=0.006319,0.013819&z=16
though, and 'refresh' your memory. It is 55 years since the trams went, we are allowed to blur our reminiscences after that length of time, well I do so i don't see why you can't!

I've just rang my brother, and he confirms it was Marshbrook Road that we caught the 79 tram, I then rang a childhood friend who lived in Springthorpe Road,he too confirmed that he also caught it at Marshbrook Road. the next stop was Paget Road,then the Norton pub.

hi there talking about Springthorpe road do you remember the stream that went under Paget road and Pype Hayes road ended up in the spinney by Tyburn road can you tell me where it goes next did it go to the tip back of the Forget Me Not club also anybody remembers the stream next to the fish and chip shop Tyburn road going under by the Apollo cinama next to the sweet shop
icon5.gif

names duffy ,wall,holmes ,young

Hi Padget, I remember the brook, our house in Pype Hayes Road, backed on to the waste ground were the brook ran through, "our Gang" spent many a happy day in that field, building dens,jumping the brook,and going through tunnel under Pype Hayes Road. as for the stream that ran beside the fish shop,(was it Bert's?) all I recall of that was sitting on the wall that ran along the side of the stream, eating my chips and 1/2p of scratchings, chatting-up the girls as they went in the chip shop.Happy Days.

hi coopbill7 i found my 1st bike in that brook a good coat of paint and some wheels and other bits off my brothers old bike and i was away
do you remember the start of it .i looked at some old maps before the housing estate and it starts from behind the church on chester rd i think there is an old cottage there now
or do you remember where it goes the same map shows it going back of the forget me not club any idea
did you go to paget my house faced the school so i had a hard time playing wag
do you remember the young family in pype hayes rd .or the wheeler family in paget rd there house was not far from the brook

Last edited:
hi there talking about Springthorpe road do you remember the stream that went under Paget road and Pype Hayes road ended up in the spinney by Tyburn road can you tell me where it goes next did it go to the tip back of the Forget Me Not club also anybody remembers the stream next to the fish and chip shop Tyburn road going under by the Apollo cinama next to the sweet shop
icon5.gif

The fish shop stream. I know you can see it in the alleyway that goes from Berkswell road to Kingsbury road, it then disappears till it goes under Holly lane, through the allotments past the chip shop, (still there) under Tyburn road then onto the river Tame I assume.

Hi Padget, I'm sorry but I can't tell you were the brook began, or were it finished, you never worry about that when you are young, it was just there in our field, and we never followed it past Varley Road. Yes I did attend Paget Road school,1939-1949.If I remember correctly opposite the school there were the school allotments, I seem to recall that the house next to the allotments got bombed in the war.

All down Paget Road were "smoke drums" they smelt of paraffin, not sure what they were for, the names you mentioned, I'm sorry but I do not recall anyone of those names, what year were you at Paget?

icon5.gif

I remember the stream next to the Dolphin Twins chippy. Can't remember the Apollo- I only remember it as the Fine Fare. I also remember the Spinney and the stream that ran through it. My dad always warned us to keep away because when he was a lad he had polio and reckoned it was caught from dirty water. We still used to go down there to play! It was like a wilderness to us kids. If I remember right, there were a couple of horses on the Spinney. One was white. Didn’t it used to be a bird sanctuary? (not the horse, the Spinney!) Can't say where the stream went. Possibly down to the canal at the back of Hardy Spicers?
Shakespeare’s who lived on Springthorpe Road claimed ownership of the Spinney (William did, anyhow. Yes, William Shakespeare lived round the corner from me! I remember him as a tall. Lanky lad who hurt anybody he could catch hold of.)
If we went down there, we always made sure we were wearing long trousers/jeans because of the nettles and brambles. Happy days!

The 79 tram stopped at the Norton, Pype Hayes Rd, Marshbrook and the terminus outbound. Egerton Rd, Tyburn Rd, at the "Forget Me Not Ex-serviceman’s Club". and then by the Bank opposite the Norton Pub. Dr Pilgrims Surgery was on the corner of Chester Rd and Tyburn Rd. Sorry about the late imput, I was't around. Tomo.

The stream then ran along side of the allotments and then under the canel. I believe it then ran into a storm water drain beneath Kingsbury Road.

Back