• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

That's good news Lyn - although I expect you have grown quite attached to it by now ....lol :adoration:
Thanks for letting us know.

That's good news Lyn - although I expect you have grown quite attached to it by now ....lol :adoration:
Thanks for letting us know.

dont know about me attached to it pol i think its more attached to me...i had it in the shed for a week but didnt feel easy about its safely so for the past few weeks it has been behind my settee lol....

dont know about me attached to it pol i think its more attached to me...i had it in the shed for a week but didnt feel easy about its safely so for the past few weeks it has been behind my settee lol....
I would have done exactly the same Lyn - imagine if it had disappeared after everything you have done....:upset:

hi folks...postal plaque was collected by the royal mail yesterday..it is hoped that it will be in place in about 3 weeks time along with a wooden plaque to say where the postmen came from...the next step will be the rededication service where the last post will be played and hoping to have one or two men dressed in ww1 uniform so we are moving along nicely now...when i have a date for that i will let you know as anyone is most welcome to attend..i am so pleased that these 7 brave men will be rightfully honoured in time for the centenary of the great war...a great result and thanks to everyone who has shown an interest:encouragement:

lyn

I would just like to say Well Done, Lyn great job ,and a great result. Michael

thanks michael..must admit i was getting a tad worried that it would not be completed in time but everything is going well now...

lyn

Yes Lyn - so far anyway. And also i don't think there will be much chance of it getting lost in the post.

Well done Lyn I am so glad things are moving along. You must be very proud as are we!

No question about it Lyn, you've done a great job on this. And I think we've all felt inspired by it too. It's been a pleasure to help alongside everyone else. Hoping to get a bit of free time next week to do some updating of the other thread. Viv.

thanks wend and viv it has been quite a journey buts its not quite over yet...the plaque was collected by peter armatige MBE...such a lovely man..i did not realise just how much money is given to various charities by the royal mail..peter is in charge of this so well done to them too...

hi josie and yes i do feel very proud to have had a hand in this...i have always admired all those who gave their lives in both wars for this country..they should never be forgotton and ken stowe who found the plaque over 40 years ago just cant wait to go to the rededication service..

lyn

Last edited:
great news folks...we have found another rellie of one of the 7 men which makes it 3 now...zena58 who is a member of the forum is the gt niece of HENRY JAMES HOLMES which makes henry zenas moms uncle and dates permitting they would love to attend the re dedication service...looks like there will be quite a gathering...:encouragement:

lyn

Last edited:
hi all
who would have thought when i stummbled on your forum whilst browsing the net, i would find such wonderful news, and brilliant people.
neither myself or my mom knew henry but have researched both him and his brother charles and the rest of the family since starting my tree
we will be honored to be their for him
im not sure as i cant find enough info but i think their brother william henry was killed in action too
A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE PARTICIPATED IN THESE THREADS AND MADE THIS POSSIBLE ESPECIALLY LYN
Zena and Hazel(lewis nee holmes)

morning zena and we are glad you found us as well...there is no need for thanks as i have enjoyed this long journey to try and have these 7 brave men recognised before the centenary of the start of ww1:encouragement:..they will never be forgotton at the NMA which is as it should be...i will just go to private messages now and take your number down...i noted that like my grandad henry holmes was also in the RFA..grandad did come back but having been gassed a couple of times he was never the same again and died in 1938 just before the start of ww2 leaving our nan to raise 3 young daughters alone..

lyn

Last edited:
Zena, on the 1925 E Rolls for the Bolton Road address there is Henry, Maryann, William Henry and Edward Holmes. If that is the son William Henry then he must have survived the war, hope so.
Lynne.

Fantastic to hear from you Zena! A lovely addition to this thread and to your own family history. It also occurred to me that these postmen most probably knew each other (although haven't yet looked closely at their dates of service etc, from the PO to when they signed up) but hopefully they knew each other. Viv.

Found this photo of Alexander Leadbeater in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour 1914 - 1918.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401350543.430346.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

UPDATE..

hi folks last week i had an email from a reporter at central news asking if they could come and film and interview me about the postal plaque...i couldnt really see much point in them doing that as all the info about it was in the evening mails article so i forwarded that on to them along with an update of where we have got to so far and asked if they would like to come along and film the re dedication service and that way they could chat to ken stowe and the rellies of henry james holmes...cornelius neal and albert sharp..just had a reply back saying that date and time permitting central news would love to come along...i on the other hand shall be trying to stay in the background...that day belongs to the 7 men who gave their lives for us...

lyn

Well done yet again Lyn. I totally agree with your sentiments, publicity for the re dedication is the best way to go. I do have to say without your imput this would never have happened, so you should be included. I wait with baited breath for more news.

Well done yet again Lyn. I totally agree with your sentiments, publicity for the re dedication is the best way to go. I do have to say without your imput this would never have happened, so you should be included. I wait with baited breath for more news.

thanks wend..although since feb this has taken some doing it really has been an honour...i must also thank peter armitage of the NMA has been sortting out things that end...you wont believe the emails and phone calls that has been going back and forth with us lol..ive spoken to all the rellies and noted any dates that they have booked holidays as i dont want them to miss this so a date will be arranged to suit all...oh and dont worry about me...i shall be there somewhere lurking with me camera lol..

lyn

hi lyn
im not sure about the news im not that sort of person . and after all you have done all the work to bring it all together
so their day and also yours
so your up the front and
i'll hold the camera for you ha ha
zena
p.s. i work till 2 weekdays (school cook)

Back