• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Er (human) and Im (pet)

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
Why is it that every woman or girl was referred to as her, not she, and when speaking we dropped the haitch.
I can only remember one instance where a male was referred to as im (no haitch). That was for the tomcat. My mum and granddad used to talk to our first kitten, saying to him something like "Im, im, pussy wussy, who be the boofullest pussy in the werld?".
This is over 60 years ago now, but it would be interesting to know how other people talked to their pets then, and even now.
Peter

Me? I talk to my cats all the time :) I even sing to them as we climb up the stairs to bed!!!!!!!

We often meet people when we are out and about who talk to their dogs as my own Mother did when she was alive. I remember my Grandmother calling her dog "My likkle didums, come for your din dins"!!!!!!!!!111 :p

Back