• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Enquire Within Upon Everything

Well I'll be gooin to the foot of our stairs and then on t our outside Bog, A brummie invented the worl wid web, blumin ell!! Thanks Ade

... Tim Berners Lee did NOT come up with the idea of the internet in 1989 ...

Quite right, guilbert53, and we should acknowledge at least some of the pioneers of the Internet:
1962: Joseph Carl Robnett Licklider (1915-1990) begins to write about the Intergalactic Computer Network.
1969: establishment of ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network), the world's first WAN (Wide Area Network).
1971: Abhay K Bhushan (born circa 1942) invents FTP (File Transfer Protocol).
1973: Vinton Gray Cerf (born 1943) and Robert Elliot Kahn (born 1938) invent TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol). It is said that "TCP/IP will run over two tin cans and a string". [Ten points for spotting the error in that video clip! ;)]​

Yes, it was an exciting period, I was one of the first women on the web, so I got interviewed a lot, by Vogue magazine, The New York Times, Dallas morning news, Japanese TV, and fashion designers approached me to be featured on my website. The only problem was, not many people were aware of the net, so, when I began to approach companies for sponsorship they didn't know what I was talking about. Lloyds bank turned me down because their accountant/PR guy said I wasn't asking enough. He said they weren't interested in any sponsorship lower than a million!
...Fashionz - you had amazing experience pre-WWW ....

Last edited by a moderator:
... August 1994..... Before that I had a moderated mailing list. The web was a much friendlier place then.

Trying to remember more about that time through my well-flushed buffers, I seem to remember that was the height of the flame-wars? I am glad we don't get any of that these days especially on this amazingly friendly and family-like forum. They were quite distasteful if not hurtful and I hope that the practice was left behind on Usenet and the like.

A friendly nudge to participants in this thread.....

It's informative and it's entertaining. But....it would be prudent to remember that the topic is a recommended book and the invention of the World Wide Web which (fortunately) involve a Birmingham connection The genuine historical interest and appropriateness of much of the material will be reduced if there is too much drift off-topic and away from the Birmingham aspects; and also too many chatty posts which would be more appropriate to the General Discussion section.

Chris

I think Black Hog Pudding would excite the Umami taste receptors, only recently recognized in the West (had to go to the modern Enquire Within About Everything for that word....)

I have this recipe in my mind for Black Pudding (flavour) cheesecake...combining two of my favourite foods!

That's why my mail list was 'moderated'. And, for some reason, being a fashion related topic, someone would always try and bring up men in skirts, and then, people would get carried away. So it needed to be moderated.
Trying to remember more about that time through my well-flushed buffers, I seem to remember that was the height of the flame-wars? I am glad we don't get any of that these days especially on this amazingly friendly and family-like forum. They were quite distasteful if not hurtful and I hope that the practice was left behind on Usenet and the like.

Those North of the border have something to answer to: Their black-pudding is white and their Kilt frightens the enemy, enough said.

Enquire Within Upon Everything has none of it though as a classy book with Birmingham connections. It is quite strict on the use of gloves and hats:

"1708. Visits and Presentations...x Hold your hat in your hand unless requested to place it down Then lay it beside you... xvii The gloves should not be removed during a visit"
"1709. Balls and Evening Parties ...v Always wear gloves. vi Do not wear rings on the outside of your gloves "

One of the few stories I remember my gran telling me was of the time some "gent" with lemon-coloured gloves tried to do unmentionables to her during a dance at the Edgbaston reservoir in the 20s. Know the gloves, know the man seems to have been the lesson and I can't remember my granpa wearing gloves of any description apart from as protection.

May word, that's a bit saucy.
I didn't realise that the Edgbaston Reservoir went back that long.
Those North of the border have something to answer to: Their black-pudding is white and their Kilt frightens the enemy, enough said.

Enquire Within Upon Everything has none of it though as a classy book with Birmingham connections. It is quite strict on the use of gloves and hats:

"1708. Visits and Presentations...x Hold your hat in your hand unless requested to place it down Then lay it beside you... xvii The gloves should not be removed during a visit"
"1709. Balls and Evening Parties ...v Always wear gloves. vi Do not wear rings on the outside of your gloves "

One of the few stories I remember my gran telling me was of the time some "gent" with lemon-coloured gloves tried to do unmentionables to her during a dance at the Edgbaston reservoir in the 20s. Know the gloves, know the man seems to have been the lesson and I can't remember my granpa wearing gloves of any description apart from as protection.

Took me years to track this DVD set down, and now you've blown the best bits to the World you bounder Sir Percy. Eric Olthwaite, and Howard Molson's shovel. Shiver. A masterpiece of the parody of modern life...

So - enough of sausage related posts already - por favor! (there are several threads devoted to the subject such as https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33702&highlight=sausage and https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27850&highlight=sausage to name but two).

I admit it is a subject that fires the passions and there will certainly always be a place in my heart for a Ripping Yarn or Python sketch (those boys really tell it like is is don't they?).

But before slovenly pointing to the recipes for Worcester Sausages (Section 1187) and Black Hog Pudding (Section 1192) I should have thought a bit more and first consulted the earlier section from the (fortunately) recommended book of this thread: "Enquire Within Upon Everything" that, natch, has a section on composition:

"211/223. Composition -- If you would write to any purpose you must be perfectly free from without, in the first place, and yet more free from within. Give yourself the natural rein; think on no pattern, no patron, no paper, no press, no public, think on nothing, but follow your own impulses. Give yourself as you are, what you are and how you see it. Every man sees with his own eyes or does not see at all. This is incontrovertibly true. Bring out what you have. If you have nothing, be an honest beggar rather than a respectable thief. Great care and attention should be devoted to epistolary correspondence as nothing exhibits want of taste and judgment so much as a slovenly (post)."

Last edited:
Back