• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

English Heritage Archives link

Aother potentially useful resource thanks - wish there were more pics available online though...

Hi Aidan. If you search for Birmingham & click "only records with online images attached" you will be occupied for quite some time. I should have explained more clearly. I lost an evening whilst using the site so be warned.

D'Oh - thats much better. Some fascinating buildings and lovely collection of Parks too. Race you to start some new threads to find out about them!

Oh yes, Aidan. I am so keen to ask questions about some of these buildings, but whenever I have tried to include a particularly long web address on BHF the site rejects my post.

I dont think it was Paradise St, Aidan. Yes, I do love Cobden Coffee Palace. The architect was really reaching for the stars.
I am still searching for none copyright photos by Bedford Lemere. What a great photographer he was.

But the Cherry St from Dent would have been from before corporation st was made, though I must admit that on older maps I can't see a sharp corner (as opposed to a T junction or turning off).

Thats interesting, Mike. The jury is now out on whether I should trust Dent completely. I suppose it will be a matter of testing each picture as I go.

I think that is good advice for any information source!

I'm still chugging through some of the site, but here is what I have found of interest so far (a personal selection so not exclusive but may asist others with searches):

* Metchley House, Harborne - see also https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29580&p=337677#post337677
* St Philips Vicarage, St Philips Place, Temple Row
* Conservative Club, Temple Row
* Liberal Club, Edmund Street
* Scottish Mutual Assurance Society, 106-110 Edmund Street
* Grand Hotel, Colmore Row
* Scottish Provident Institution, Colmore Row
* Worcester Bank, Colmore Row
* Ruskin Buildings, 179-203 Corporation Street
* if anyone went to the College of Art and Design around the sixties there are a lot of pics and faces on there that may be recognised.
* Bournville buildings
* Rag Market & Rotunda & Bull Ring
* Canals various inc Gas Street
* Birmingham University and Queen Elizabeth Hospital area
* GEC Witton Works
* Newman Brothers Ltd, 13-15 Fleet Street
* Alabaster And Wilson, 9-11 Legge Lane
* Gwenda Works, Legge Lane
* Civil Defence Headquarters, 12-12 St Bernards Road, Sutton Coldfield
* Frank Clissold Ltd, 94-94 Vyse Street
* METAL SPINNING at W Bayliss And Son Ltd Incorporating Swatkins And Turvey, 4-5 Mary Street
* H P Foods Limited, Tower Road
* Uffculme Hospital, Queensbridge Road, Kings Heath
* Hollymoor Water Tower, Tessall Lane
* Pumphouse, Waterworks Road, Edgbaston
* Odeon Kingstanding & Sutton Coldfield
* Gravelly Hill Interchange
* The Roundhouse, Sheepcote Street, Ladywood
* New Street Station Signal Box
* National Westminster Bank, Bennetts Hill
* Great Hampton Street Works, 80-82 Great Hampton Street
* Vespasian, Allison Street, Beneath Moor Street Viaduct (I shall never be caught short, my collection is growing - see Harborne thread)
* St Johns/St Franics' Presbytery/Hardman and Company, a stained glass firm, Hunters Road, Handsworth
* Augustus Road, & Westfield Road Edgbaston
* Park Hill House, Hamstead Hill
* Steelhouse Lane
* Fletchers Cafe
* Basil Chamneys college
* W Evans And Sons Limited, 54-57 Albion Street (Planished copper bowl)
* Recreational Parks & botanical gardens - various
TBA

Aidan
It says St Phillips place, Temple Row. You can see it on the c 1910 map

st_phillips_rectory_c_1910.jpg

Thanks, Mike. I never thought that I would say "Pity about the trees", Aidan. We need a kind person who is in the area to take a photo. I cannot see a mention of the building in Pevsner.

The shops pictured in the link on post 7 were at 150-8 Corporation St & were occupied for some of the time by Birmingham Household Supply Association.

Back