• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Emirates A380 returning to BHX

JuliaP

proper brummie kid
Emirates has formally announced its return to BHX from 1 September.

However, for the time being and allowing passengers numbers to build again, the flight will be operated by B777-300ER. Flight numbers EK39/40, 4xweekly. Not sure which other days besides Tuesday and Friday.

A380 twice daily still pencilled in for October restart, but may change later.

See you in Sheldon Country Park as soon return is announced.

I remember this plane fly almost over our house in Gt Barr 3-4 years ago . I marvelled the way you could get so much weight up in the air , not much noise either when it's in the air . Awesome to say the least , we moved 3 years ago so I don't see it anymore .

I remember this plane fly almost over our house in Gt Barr 3-4 years ago . I marvelled the way you could get so much weight up in the air , not much noise either when it's in the air . Awesome to say the least , we moved 3 years ago so I don't see it anymore .
Best plane I have ever flown in, economy and business but now a dinosaur. Quantas mothballing their fleet until 2022, the first built already being scrapped and Emirates seeking money from the country to keep theirs flying.

Bob

Reason why some are being scrapped is they were early ones. As improvements were made, they became 20% lighter therefore more economical. Emirates, along with lots of airlines, getting government help regardless of their fleet. There's lots of 787s in storage too.

Qantas anticipate bringing them back into service as passenger loads improve. Only Air France has decided to get rid of them completely. At the start of the Covid problems, a senior Qantas captain stated that some airlines just didn't know how to use the aircraft properly. Well done HiFly for using initiative and converting to a cargo version, ably assisted by the expertise of Lufthansa Technik.

UAL and Continental did fly into Brum but they stopped why? We did fly from Denver Colorado USA to Heathrow on a UAL 36715195_1408293272604038_2626694439367606272_n.jpg787 not bad in business class, that is why I married a stewardess 57 years ago HaHa. Brings back memories of March 1957 Shannon to LaGuardia NY USA, took 14 hours on a 4 prop Connie KLM I can still hear the buzz buzz buzz of the engines

Reason why some are being scrapped is they were early ones. As improvements were made, they became 20% lighter therefore more economical. Emirates, along with lots of airlines, getting government help regardless of their fleet. There's lots of 787s in storage too.

Qantas anticipate bringing them back into service as passenger loads improve. Only Air France has decided to get rid of them completely. At the start of the Covid problems, a senior Qantas captain stated that some airlines just didn't know how to use the aircraft properly. Well done HiFly for using initiative and converting to a cargo version, ably assisted by the expertise of Lufthansa Technik.
I understood, that this was not a viable proposition, can you guide me to any information on this please, must have completely missed it, flown Airbus 319/20 and all other marques including 380 but not 350 yet and all current Boeing except 787. Found the evening 380 flight from BHX to Dubai very satisfactory, but amazingly full on the occasions when we have used it.

Bob

Bob

Aviation media has reported extensively on effects of Covid on this sector. I draw my blog content from many sources so would have to go through articles to sort out specifics for you. The site I write for is theplanespotterscommunity.co.uk

The Qantas Captain, now retired due to Covid crisis, is Richard de Crespigny. He was in charge of QF32 which had an uncontained engine failure just out of Singapore in 2010. He tweets regularly, mostly about aviation. HiFly Portugal decided to take an ex-Singapore Airlines A380, one of the early ones. They used it during Thomas Cook repatriation, before carrying PPE around the world. BA's in storage at one of the many Paris airports (I believe this one's about 60km south!). Managed to tear up taxiway due to weight.

I also follow a business travellers forum, where it's interesting to read the opinions of gold/platinum card holders. One has described the A380 as "the lorry of the sky". Others have complimented its quietness and comfort. Whatever aircraft an airline chooses, it's fitted out to their spec, including engine make.

Emirates' outgoing President Sir Tim Clark recently announced their A380 fleet would return to the skies. They are also disposing of the older ones if only for parting out, to cut the cost of spares. He was instrumental in bringing the A380 to BHX, his local airport. It will take time for passengers to return, especially as many are in transit to Australia, NZ, China, Japan.

As for the A350, fewer critics than for B787. Personally, won't go near any newer Boeings until they get their act together....

Back