• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elmdon Airport

My Dad worked at the Elmdon Airport when Nikita Khrushchev came to Birmingham
Attached is a Photo of Khrushchev arriving at the airport, my Dad is also in the photo
Does anyone know what year it was
We visited Elmdon to see the first visit of the BOAC Comet. Big event then

Avolon is no longer logging in but if anyone else is interested there is a you tube video of the arrival of Bulganin and Khushchev at Elmdon in 1956.
My dad was one of the police motorcycle outriders in the parade.

Don't remember a BOAC Comet at Elmdon, the first Comet to visit was from RAF Air Support Command.

"Air Anglia commenced operations with a small fleet of Douglas DC-3 "Dakota" piston-engined airliners (see heading image) as well as a number of smaller, "executive" type of aircraft inherited from its predecessors. With these aircraft it mainly operated oil and gas industry support flights from Norwich and Aberdeen as well as Humberside Airport."

Norwich presumably being more a hub than a destination! Air Anglia went on to be part of AirUK which, with its links to KLM, became quite an important regional airline in the 1980s, especially when it started using Stansted as its main hub.

Landing at Stanstead used to be a joy. One would arrive at one corner of the square terminal building and the lady at the car hire desk diagonally opposite would see us come in and have the paperwork all ready by the time we reached her desk. The hire car would be waiting just outside the door. That's what air travel should be like!

I remember doing a survey of business travellers at Birmingham Airport in 1970. I think at that time Air Anglia flew from Birmingham to Norwich with an onward connection to Stavanger. It amused me to see the Air Anglia check in operator ask one passenger to stand on the baggage scales as they were weighing the passenger as I think it was only a small aircraft on the service.

I guess it certainly rattled the cups and saucers on the dresser (assuming they had one). :laughing:
Just seen the photo of the Spantax CV-990 landing at Elmdon. I lived in the house on the left of the photo from 1952 until December 68 when it was purchased by the Airport and demolished. The photo was taken in June 1967 and recorded the arrival of the first of many weekly Spantax CV-990 flights to/from Palma. The house stood on the A45 about a quater of a mile west of The Clock public house and AP Motors (Ann's Pantry) petrol station. Many thanks for the photo.

I do not think that BOAC would have flown to Jersey as they were a long haul operator. Do you mean BEA?
Well all I really remember was buying the ticket on the Saturday in the BOAC shop in New Street on the Saturday. We landed in Jersey as Guernsey airport could not accommodate a plane of that size and Guernsey passengers caught a connecting flight.

I was with the RAF in Nairobi when comet 1 came out for it's tropical trials in 1950, do not know date of first commercial flight but believe it crashed shortly after. Eric

Attachments

• Comet 1 Eastleigh 1950.jpg
    Comet 1 Eastleigh 1950.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 10
Back