• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elmdon Airport

"By January 1937, Norman and Dawbarn had been authorised to finalise the design drawings, which appear to have been completed by June 1937. In October that year Holst and Co. Ltd. were appointed for the reinforced concrete construction work, with Richard Crittall and Co. Ltd. for the panel heating system, and Henry Hall and Son Ltd. for the metal windows. The entire expenditure on the project would amount to around £360,000. " [From Historic England]
Lovely little read interesting article on the seed of the building along with the history.
It was nice to see that a lot of travel was involved to help in the decision of the final look 360,000.00 lot of money back then.

I am just thinking that there might have been an error in the Historic England report. I don't know the name Henry Hall and Son Ltd but then the building was built many years before I was born. I was thinking that that it should be Henry Hope and Sons Ltd, metal window manufacturers who used to be in Halfords Lane in Smethwick

Last edited:
I am just thinking that there might have been an error in the Historic England report. I don't know the name Henry Hallo and Son Ltd but then the building was built many years before I was born. I was thinking that that it should be Henry Hope and Sons Ltd, metal window manufacturers who used to be in Halfords Lane in Smethwick
Sounds plausible. If anyone has the time to get access it might be worth trying http://calmview.birmingham.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=MS+1056

One for the aviation experts. The air traffic at the moment is drastically reduced, but I noticed two gliders operating to the SE. What is needed for a glider flight? Do they have to communicate with air traffic control, are there any safety measures needed to be in place for take off and landing?

One for the aviation experts. The air traffic at the moment is drastically reduced, but I noticed two gliders operating to the SE. What is needed for a glider flight? Do they have to communicate with air traffic control, are there any safety measures needed to be in place for take off and landing?

More importantly, shouldn't the pilots be at home like everyone else is supposed to be?

121.5 VHF Emergency FrequencyIn an emergency, a glider pilot may use the VHF Emergency Service frequency of 121.500 MHz in accordance with the United Kingdom Radiotelephony Manual (CAP 413) Chapter 8 Emergency Phraseology without having to hold Flight Radiotelephony Operators Licence

An aircraft shall not fly, take off or land in an ATZ without either; a.permission from air traffic control if the airfield has ATC; or;b.satisfactory information from the aerodrome flight information unit or from the air / ground radio station, from which the pilot may judge whether it is safe to fly within the ATZ, where the aerodrome has Aerodrome Flight Information Service (AFIS) or Air / Ground (A/G) radio

Hi I used to go castle hills farm riding school, in the 80’s? Albert Hadley owned castle hills then, his sister lived in the adjoining residence, there was a brother Ralph? I was always curious about the building half way up the lane, opposite the hay field, never did find out, would luv to know more & see pictures of the farm in its days as a dairy farm, last I’d heard Albert had moved to Meriden? after the extension, beleive the horses moved to sanctuaries, such a shame I had many happy times there, luv to know more, & I also discovered the plane crash on the farm - there’s more information about it now
I don't know whether you still visit this site but....

I too spent a lot of time on this land from sound 1970 to 82/3. When I was little I used to ride on Alan Hadley's land (Whar Hall Farm), which was on the Damson Lane side of the hill. I'd occasionally ride at Castle Hills with friends though.

From late 79 to late 82 I kept a horse on Ralph's land. His land was more down towards Bickenhill & used the same entrance from Coventry Road. If you came off Coventry Road & headed up the track towards Castle Hills, Albert's land was on the right & Ralph's on the left. He lived in Clock Lane, next to the pub, and we'd cut through his garden to get to Bickenhill without having to ride along Coventry Road.

On the bend around half way between Coventry Road & Castle Hills farm house, there was a ruined house & the stable yard that we used. Is that the building to which you refer? Sadly, other than small glimpses in the background of pictures of my horse I have no pictures of it, but it was pretty derelict & when I knew it the 'paint men' used the land (I think they got paint wholesale in big barrels & used to can it up to sell).

To keep this on topic, the bottom most field of Ralph's had runway lights in it, & planes would come in very low over the fields. We'd get inundated with plans spotters when something new or rare was coming in - Concorde was a big attraction.

Although much of Castle Hills land is still in tact, a lot of Ralph's had been swallowed up with the runway extension & diversion of Coventry Road, and the buildings I used to use are no longer there. Google Earth just shows a scrubby patch of land where they stood.

Map from 1938 below. Crash was 1946.The airfield isn't shewn but by 1950s the end of the runway dissected Elmdon lane just to the right of Elmdon Farm. The Aircraft was recovered. see Hansard link on post #348

View attachment 134419
Does anyone know anything about Hargrove Hall? That looks like it could be the location of the derelict house & stable yard I used when I kept a horse on that land.

Can anyone tell me anything about airships from Elmdon Airport in the 1970's? I grew up near the airport & they were a fairly common sight in the summer. You'd hear the distinctive engine sound first.

I was fascinated by them & always wanted to go in one - still would in fact. I think they were sight seeing trips from the airport.

There is an Airship thread with a few photos but I don't think Elmdon is mentioned .... :)

Back