• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ellerton & Hunt Legge Lane.

Brian Parker

Brummie babby
I have an old car, a Triumph 2000 MK1 Automatic (only 71 left on the road) which was first registered in 1967 in the UK. Trying to trace its history.
It was imported into Ireland 2011, and from the paper work I know it was registered in Walsell, with registration number NDH 860E.
From the service book I know that the first owner is listed as a company (looks like) "Ellerton & Hunt" Legge Lane, Birmingham, and was sold by Triumph Dealers "Malcolm Crowder (Willenhall) Ltd.
Does know anything about these two firms. What did "Ellerton & Hunt" do / make, etc? Are either firm still about? Is there any pictures of the sites?
When I take the car to charity shows over here I have a sheet with as much information that I already have, and put in the windscreen, so would be nice to know a bit more.
Have spent many a hour on the web myself looking for anything, but with no luck.

hi brian and welcome...how lovely to have such an old car like that...we should be able to help with ellerton and hunt by looking in the kellys directories..may also be able to help with old photos of legge lane which is in the jewellery quarter...will have have to do some research for you...only to happy to help

lyn

Last edited:
hi brian just looked at the 1967/8 kellys and at no 8 legge lane there is an eccleston and hart manufacturing jewellers...could that be the name on the service book?? i cant find anything else similar.. if so they shared the building with another company which was and still is common practice in the jewellery quarter..legge lane is still there but some buildings no longer exist so the next step is to find out if no 8 is still there...

lyn

just done a google street walk and nos 17 to 12 legge lane are still there...it then gets difficult as i am not sure where no 8 would have been...mike if you spot this thread could we have a map please to pin point where no 8 legge lane was or is...thanks mike

lyn

hi brian just looked at the 1967/8 kellys and at no 8 legge lane there is an eccleston and hart manufacturing jewellers...could that be the name on the service book?? i cant find anything else similar.. if so they shared the building with another company which was and still is common practice in the jewellery quarter..legge lane is still there but some buildings no longer exist so the next step is to find out if no 8 is still there...

lyn
Hi. Lyn. Thank you for coming back so quick. In the service book it's all handwritten and a bit faded, but now looking at what you say the second word look's more like Hart then Hunt, and maybe the first word could be Eccleston. So think you could have solved that part, and why I could not find anything. Thanks again.

hi brian you would need the kellys directories to find out what i did..some of us members have them on discs...anyhow assuming it is eccleston and harts then as you can see i have asked one of our map experts mike to provide us with a map showing where that building was or is situated on legge lane..stick with us we will get there:)

lyn

Brian. below is a map of Legge lane c 1955, showing where I am fairly sure 8 Legge lane is. The actual building in red is not numbered but 9 & 5 is, and I think the red building must be 7-8., which I believe makes it the building with red arrow on google view

Attachments

• google showing 8 & 9 Legge lane c2015.jpg
    google showing 8 & 9 Legge lane c2015.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 20
  • mapc 19 55 showing 8 Legge Lane.jpg
    mapc 19 55 showing 8 Legge Lane.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 20
thats a great link janice...and thanks mike for confirming the building is still there..

brian if you look at the link janice has posted giving their web site you can get in touch with eccleston and hart...reading the link i see that they produced the first expanding bracelet and named it THE TRIUMPH... more than a coinsidence that they also owned a triumph car...i would imagine that if you got in touch with them they would love to know that the old car is still going..would you please keep us informed if you do decide to get in touch with them..

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
Brian. below is a map of Legge lane c 1955, showing where I am fairly sure 8 Legge lane is. The actual building in red is not numbered but 9 & 5 is, and I think the red building must be 7-8., which I believe makes it the building with red arrow on google view
Hi. Mike.
Thank you for taking the time to search this for me. Its great to know a bit more about the cars early life.
Brian.

thats a great link janice...and thanks mike for confirming the building is still there..

brian if you look at the link janice has posted giving their web site you can get in touch with eccleston and hart...reading the link i see that they produced the first expanding bracelet and named it THE TRIUMPH... more than a coinsidence that they also owned a triumph car...i would imagine that if you got in touch with them they would love to know that the old car is still going..would you please keep us informed if you do decide to get in touch with them..

cheers

lyn
Hi Lyn.
That's a surprise. I do have two Triumphs, the other being a 1974 Spitfire MK 4. But the only thing I know about it's early life is that it's first registration was 24/04/1974 Staffordshire. I will contact Eccleston and Hart to see if they came come up with anything more. Will let you know the results.
Many thanks again.
Brian

View attachment 106884 View attachment 106885 View attachment 106886 View attachment 106887 View attachment 106888 View attachment 106889 View attachment 106890 took a walk up and down legge lane today..major demo and rebuild going on...no access anymore down camden drive..the old church at the top of legge lane is falling into yet more disrepair..passage way at the side of it still cobbled..nice building on the right of the passage way...few photos taken..please excuse the shading on the left of some photos had to get the camera through the fencing..

lyn
Hi lyn.
Great to see some pictures. Have sent a email to Eccleston and Hart, but so far no reply.
Brian.

hi bri...as you can see the eccleston and hart building is still standing..not sure how long for though as there is a lot of re developement going on around there just now...do hope ecclestons get in touch with you soon..

lyn

Must be a different one, but Eccleston and Hart are on the Kingsbury Road, polystyrene manufacturers.
It is the same firm who have diversified. See link in #8
Janice

Sorry Lyn - for some reason your reply was not visible when I replied - think it was because I went in via "alerts".

yes charlie i guessed it would upset you having the connections you do...on a lighter note have you seen the george and dragon thread...its now open again:)

lyn

Yes Lyn, that's good news and it looks great. Will try and call in when I'm mobile again (back problems).

Deserted Factory in Legge lane in my urban exploring days

Attachments

• legge1.PNG
    legge1.PNG
    603 KB · Views: 20
  • legge2.PNG
    legge2.PNG
    580.8 KB · Views: 21
  • legge3.PNG
    legge3.PNG
    582.4 KB · Views: 20
  • legge4.PNG
    legge4.PNG
    616.8 KB · Views: 18
  • legge5.PNG
    legge5.PNG
    622.2 KB · Views: 18
  • legge6.PNG
    legge6.PNG
    588.5 KB · Views: 19
  • legge7.PNG
    legge7.PNG
    568.2 KB · Views: 18
great photos froth...just the sort of place i like to get into...if you find the missing ones would like to see them please

lyn

hi brian and welcome...how lovely to have such an old car like that...we should be able to help with ellerton and hunt by looking in the kellys directories..may also be able to help with old photos of legge lane which is in the jewellery quarter...will have have to do some research for you...only to happy to help

lyn
Hi. Lynn.
Eccelstons have not replied to my email. Shame.
Did find this on another Forum site, listing Birmingham Trade Card & Advertisements.
ECCLESTON & HART (formerly Hyde & Son Ltd.)
47, Warstone Lane, Birmingham

The company's origins can be traced back to 1837 and the establishment of the jewellery manufacturers Hyde & Son. In 1927 the business was acquired by Hyde & Son's manager, Raymond Eccleston, and Joseph Hart, another Birmingham Jeweller. The name of Hyde & Son Ltd. was restyled to Eccleston & Hart.
During WWII, the firm's tool shop was converted from jewellery manufacturer to the production of fuses and aircraft de-icer systems for the war effort.
Following the war the firm turned to duel manufacturing of both jewellery and engineering, with the Raymond's son, Donald running the jewellery division and developing and producing the first expanding bracelet called 'The Triumph'.
The business converted into a limited liability company in 1959.

Eccleston & Hart - Birmingham - 1946 Trade Card.

Eccelston & Hart.jpg

wow brian what a wonderful bit of history you have found:)...most interesting and it adds a bit more meat to the bones of the company...it is a shame that you have not received a reply from them but with your permission i would like to have a crack at getting a response from them???...it could that there was maybe a gremlin and they did not receive your email...

lyn

wow brian what a wonderful bit of history you have found:)...most interesting and it adds a bit more meat to the bones of the company...it is a shame that you have not received a reply from them but with your permission i would like to have a crack at getting a response from them???...it could that there was maybe a gremlin and they did not receive your email...

lyn
If you could that would be so nice of you.
Brian.

Back