• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Eliot Street School Nechells

Another pic, taken in July 1956 by Miss Gooding, soon to become Mrs Power. Its our last month of Junior school at Eliot St, me and a number of class mates. Sorry if I've got anybody's name wrong. Left to right - Colin Utteridge, me Bill Austin, Tony Kirby, Malcolm Langbourne, John Leedham, Roger Farmer, Roy Jennings, Malcolm LambView attachment 170749
hello Bill, my brother Malcolm isn't in this picture, thanks
he's now in care home, suffering from dementia 8th October 2022

Dear participants to this post. Please excuse me if i don't know what i'm doing, been made a member of B'ham History Forum only this afternoon and felt I must add something to this post. Some of it will be quite random from comments made by you since the post started. I was born 1945 and attended Eliot St 1950-1952 (infants) and 1952-1956 (juniors) before going to Hastings Rd Secondary in Perry Common, but still living in Nechells. I lived in Nechells Park Road in one of the 12 or so houses that backed onto the Old Ladies Park (houses still there apparently). Next door was Tony Kirby, same class at school and next to him was Martin & Christine James (twins) also in our class at school. In 1968 Christine James married Brian Corfield, is this the same bloke previously mentioned? Also mentioned previously was Alan Pittaway, he was in our class also. Alan did emigrate to Australia along with Colin Ridgard (lived Mount St on corner of Park Place) Kenny Durose (lived in Nechells Park Road, half way between Eliot St and the chip shop on corner of Crompton Road (still a chip shop)) and Michael Whale (lived in Long Acre, half way between Plume St and the Hercules factory). I know that Alan and Michael soon came back. Sometime in the 60's I was at Nechells Green, waiting for a bus when a lorry pulled up, the driver leaned over and said "hop in". It was Alan Pittaway. My teachers in junior school were 1st year - Miss Gooding, 2nd year - Miss Robins, 3rd year - Mr Terry and 4th year - Miss Gooding again. Other teachers in the school were Mr Rees and Miss Barker. I have a couple of photos, one a full class photo of first year infants (1950) and about 8 of us in final year junior school which Miss Gooding took. I will try to put these on if anyone is interested and I can work out how to do it.
Hi Bill. I think Tony Kirby you mention here was my dad. Born 27-1-1945. Married Elaine and I’m one of 3 lads - Jonathan, Matthew, Jamie. Is this the same Tony? (I’ve just started doing a load of family tree stuff!). Jon

Another pic, taken in July 1956 by Miss Gooding, soon to become Mrs Power. Its our last month of Junior school at Eliot St, me and a number of class mates. Sorry if I've got anybody's name wrong. Left to right - Colin Utteridge, me Bill Austin, Tony Kirby, Malcolm Langbourne, John Leedham, Roger Farmer, Roy Jennings, Malcolm LambView attachment 170749
Thanks so much for this Bill. I’ve sent to my mum, and she was surprised Tony’s mum sent him in in long trousers!!

Back