• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Edward Pugh Conviction 1881

lulibell

master brummie
Hi

I've tried to put this in a sensible place and apologise if it's not!

I found my ancestor in come court records on ancestry today and have tried to find further details in the Birmingham Daily Post.

Edward Pugh, 37 years, jeweller, Arrested on '13th June 1881 - Having at Birmingham , on 12th June 1881 , feloniously broken and entered dwelling house of Edwin Farmer and feloniously stolen therein one brooch, two pairs of earrings, one set of studs and other articles........sentenced to 12 calendar months HL (hard labour)'.

I was seeking a newspaper report in the Birmingham Daily Post, Monday 20th June 1881 , This days police news....on a paid site , but couldn't find it within my library online archives ...,

I was hoping someone could help me find a newspaper story about this event.

Best regards and thanks,

Lulibell

I have looked at the Daily Post for June 20th 1881 and have not found the article you asked about. Sorry.

Janice

I have now also found the report of the sentencing.

Attachments

• Pugh sentence.jpg
    Pugh sentence.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 30
Hi Janice,

That is definitely my ancestor; in the 1881 census he was a gold chain maker and lived at 63 Lower Hockley Street. The hard labour must have taken it's toll he died in 1888.

Thanks for helping me find out more about my 2x gt grandfather,

All the best,

Lu

In the 1882 and 1884 Kellys, no 62 Hockley St is listed as being occupied by John Pugh. 63 not listed. In 1880, neither 62 or 63 were listed

Hi Mike,

That's Edward's brother John Pugh, a widowed press tool maker , living with daughter Winifred, in 1881 census. The census lists the street as Lower Hockley Street.

Best regards,

Lu

Not sure why it was called Lower hockley St. Have checked the directories back to 1867, and none mention a Lower Hockley St, just Hockley St

Mike while I was looking to see if I could find anything in the papers for Pugh, I found various adverts between 1859 to 1887 mentioning Lower Hockley Street One was an advert for a house - 54 Lower Hockley Street and it said it was near St Georges Terrace (you will probably know where that was :adoration: )
The lowest house number I have found mentioned is 12. Number 49 must of been a Jewellers - over the years there were lots of adverts for that address for ring makers etc. Can't find anything for number 62 though :fatigue:

Thanks Pollypops, for looking into this further. I feel quite lucky to have found this event. The court records for this particular time was quite detailed. Are you surprised that the jewellery was never found it probably was recycled into a gold chain? My family, especially my dad, have been thrilled to read about their ancestor.

Lu

Polly
That's strange. even the 1839 map , when the street was right on the edge of town, just gives Hockley street, running the whole length of what is now the street

Polly
That's strange. Even the 1839 map , when the street was right on the edge of town, just gives Hockley street, running the whole length of what is now the street. However the 1881 census also calls it lower Hockley St, and the occupants of many of the houses on this agrees with the occupants given for the same numbers in Hockley St in the 1882 Kellys. The description of the enumeration district (no2) in which they are listed does not even mention Hockley or Lower Hockley St. Wish I had a photo of the nameplate of the street at one of the junctions, taken at that time, to see what it said

That is very strange Mike. I wish there was a photo of the street sign too. Perhaps someone will see this and come up with an explanation????

st georges terrace.jpghockley st runs from vyse st crosses over gt hampton st and now finishes at unett st..it used to run on a bit further and finish at brearley st which is where st georges terrace was so maybe back in the day hockley st from gt hampton st to brearley st was known as lower hockley st although i have never heard it called that..having said that i have adresses for brearley st west although on the map it was just called brearley st
here is a map showing st georges terrace

lyn

Last edited:
could it not be barr street which i think was close around there
i have an old book of old street names i will try and dig it out later astonian;;

hi lyn
do beleive you are correct it ran across the top of briearly street which i was actualy thinking myself and then was a slight bend in the rd at the top
and as you purue along they built a school and thats when lower hockley street became into briearly street
there was most definate a hockley street and a lower hockely and if i am corect i think the school was called st georges school it was a modernschool built in its
hey day i was also thinking our dear old friend alf may have some recollection because he knocked around there in his younger days
because there was a club and alf used to play foot ball for that club which i think its called unite and at the top of that rd it bends and i am sure thats where lower hockley street as you say crossing great hamptom stret and that was there in the fifties so at some point around that time it was dropped and just called hockley street
i will dig my book out today and se if its listed have a great day best wishes astonian;

Lyn
Brearley St West was incorporated into Brearley St between 1883 & 1884, and before that the two are listed separately in the directories, and the numbering was altered at the same time. The usual maps we see are the OS maps. The first detailed versions of these were surveyed around 1887, which is after the change. The 1839 map only has Brearley St named, but this is written on the part which was always Brearley St, and there are a number of streets on it which are not named, though the 1866 map does name each separately. with regards to Hockley St, the map below (c 1889) shows what was nos 62 & 63 in 1881 (the numbering changed by 1888), which is listed as lower Hockley St in the census and the newspaper articles, and as Hockley St in directories

map_c_1889_top_end_Hockley_St__showing_62_and_63.jpg

There is a statement on the 1881 census which states that Lower Hockley Street is not numbered from its commencement to Barr Street but contains a private house attached to 43 Gt Hampton Street, a building called the Star Bedstead Works and a coal yard. The numbering then begins at 12 Lower Hockley Syreet.

Janice

Wow thanks to all, that was interesting.
I'm not sure what has happened , I haven't been getting email notifications, in the last 24 hours, about the activity on this thread.

Lu

Back