• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dutton

He appears to marry a Patricia M Kirk in 1963, listed at 76 Woodlands Farm Road in 1965.

There are 2 Ford/Kirk children registered in Bham - Mark J and Stephen Paul - but again can't be certain they are theirs.

And James may have remarried in 2001 to an Elizabeth Lacey.
Many thanks MWS .Tinpot

Hello again Janice. Surprise surprise! I had a phone conversation with the real Sheila Irene Dutton, now Sheila Jones, who is now 83 and living in Bromsgrove! Opened up a whole new thread to follow. Started from my DNA check with Ancestry. I will let BHF know if anything significant comes up of interest to other members. Thanks for your suggestions.
John

Hello again Janice. Surprise surprise! I had a phone conversation with the real Sheila Irene Dutton, now Sheila Jones, who is now 83 and living in Bromsgrove! Opened up a whole new thread to follow. Started from my DNA check with Ancestry. I will let BHF know if anything significant comes up of interest to other members. Thanks for your suggestions.
John
Anyone any info about the family of Phillip Maurice Yellowitz? Ancestry DNA seems to link them to me somehow.

Phillip Yellowitz (various spellings) born 1886 Bham, son of Polish immigrants Harris/Hans and Annie (nee Cohen) Yellowich.

Lived in Lower Essex St in 1921 and Bradnock Close in 1939. Seems to be sometimes listed with middle name Maurice

Last edited:
Phillip Yellowitz (various spellings) born 1886 Bham, son of Polish immigrants Harris/Hans and Annie (nee Cohen) Yellowich.

Lived in Lower Essex St in 1921 and Bradnock Close in 1939. Seems to be sometimes listed with middle name Maurice
Long delay, with significant developments! Thanks for the info about Phillip, who may have been my grandfather. I have discovered now 3 living siblings, all of whom I have spoken with. Does anyone have any info on either Emily or Edith Chellingworth and their spouses? An Albert Steels appears on one birth certificate, but no details of who he was. Edith was my paternal grandmother it seems. All lived in the Birmingham area.

Thats good news.

A little clarification needed. Are you saying that your father was the son of Phillip Yellowitz and Emily/Edith Chellingworth? I assume illegitimate as Phillip married a Kate Brookstein in 1909, is still with her in 1939 and dies in 1947.

And with regards Albert Steels, whose birth certificate?

Thats good news.

A little clarification needed. Are you saying that your father was the son of Phillip Yellowitz and Emily/Edith Chellingworth? I assume illegitimate as Phillip married a Kate Brookstein in 1909, is still with her in 1939 and dies in 1947.

And with regards Albert Steels, whose birth certificate?
Yes that's right as far as we can see. The link is only through DNA. It seems that Phillip also may have been grandfather to a cousin in Australia, but nothing proved, other than the assumptions we have made. Albert Edward Steels appears as father on Edith's birth certificate in 1895 as the daughter of Emily Steels formerly Chellingworth. However we cant find a record of Emily's marriage to Albert, and Edith was only known as Chellingworth to her family. Was Albert a friend or lodger??! Any info would be of help here. Many thanks MWS

Edith appears to marry an Ernest Jones, who is possibly the nephew of her grandfather's second wife. They appear to have a number of children and she possibly has an illegitimate son Gilbert b1915.

Again however, she is with Ernest in 1921 and still with him in 1939. So, unless your father is Gilbert Chellingworth then it doesn't seem likely that she had a child with Phillip Yellowitz.

The last sight of Emily is 1911 (which you probably know) when she was a parlour maid in Sussex.

Last edited:
Edith appears to marry an Ernest Jones, who is possibly the nephew of her grandfather's second wife. They appear to have a number of children and she possibly has an illegitimate son Gilbert b1915.

Again however, she is with Ernest in 1921 and still with him in 1939. So, unless your father is Gilbert Chellingworth then it doesn't seem likely that she had a child with Phillip Yellowitz.

The last sight of Emily is 1911 (which you probably know) when she was a parlour maid in Sussex.
Gilbert Chellingworth is my father (died 1975) who had me and my brother by our mother who was also his sister in law. It seems he was following his mother's actions! Where do I find the link between Ernest Jones and Ediths grandfather William (?).

They appear together on the 1921 census (available on findmypast) living at 26 Monument Road. William and Hannah (2nd wife), Edith (Jones) listed as granddaughter, Ernest Jones listed as nephew (appears to be the son of Hannah's brother Aquila), Annie Jones listed as niece (not sure who her parents are) and Gilbert.

Back