• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dunlop Building

From https://kevinapears.wixsite.com/dunlop-golf-balls/history

Scottish born Vet John Boyd Dunlop founded Dunlop in 1888. The company initially manufactured rubber tires. In 1907 they started to make golf balls, the first attempt being a bramble type ball called "The Dunlop Ball". Other balls such as The Dunlop, The Orange Spot, Junior, Manor and V all quickly followed as Dunlop tried to establish themselves in this new arena. Early production was at Manor Mills, Aston in Birmingham. However Fort Dunlop, once the worlds largest factory was built 1916 and ball and tire production was moved there.

It was the introduction of the Dunlop lattice mesh ball in 1922, first patented by Dunlop employee Albert Penfold in 1912 which allowed Dunlop to take the golf ball world by storm. From the early 1920's until the 1990's Dunlop balls were regularly used by winners of the Open Golf Championship and in many overseas championships too. Cotton, Daly, Locke, Faulkner, Thomson, Charles, Di Vincenzo, Player, Jacklin, Lyle and Strange all used Dunlops. Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus have used Dunlop balls at times in their careers too.

Hi

I worked for Racing Division from 1960 to 1968 do you remember Stan who used to come round in his mobile van and serve up the BEST bacon sarnies I have ever had. Boss of Racing Div was Dick Jeffries, there was Mike Princep, Alan (Chalkie) White, Parick Monahan (we got rid of him) Harold Kershaw was in charge of the Garage, Derrick Adams, John Tonks, ALex Maskell, Ian Mills (who became and MP) Norman ?(names gone) Arthur Davidson, Jimmy ? (he was only 16 and the boys gave him hell). Great times, I came out to NZ to run the Racing Division here for 10 years.

Back