• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dunlop Building

hi dave...some nice pics there..thanks for posting them...glad you enjoyed your wander round today...

lyn

There are some amazing old photo's on here of the old Fort Dunlop as it was. Thanks for sharing them. I would have loved to have gained access when this place was derelict, but alas I was just way too late!!!!

Neil

Hi

I worked for Racing Division from 1960 to 1968 do you remember Stan who used to come round in his mobile van and serve up the BEST bacon sarnies I have ever had. Boss of Racing Div was Dick Jeffries, there was Mike Princep, Alan (Chalkie) White, Parick Monahan (we got rid of him) Harold Kershaw was in charge of the Garage, Derrick Adams, John Tonks, ALex Maskell, Ian Mills (who became and MP) Norman ?(names gone) Arthur Davidson, Jimmy ? (he was only 16 and the boys gave him hell). Great times, I came out to NZ to run the Racing Division here for 10 years.

hello there was a lot of post on dunlop but i can not find them now.i worked for internal transport 7 nights a week.i did not go to the reunion.
i saw enough of rubber bugs lol

Hi Gillian
I am researching my family and have come accross a great uncle who was a manager at Dunlop - would anyone remember him his name was William Peare (possibly Pearce) and most likely from Ireland.
Would love any information

THanks Sharon

Dunlops has a special significance for me. I had just finished my degree course at Birmingham College of Art and as my last ever holiday job, I worked at the Dunlop in the holiday with two good friends of mine, also having finished at the college. At the end of my time there I left Brum for London to start at Goldsmiths College in London; never to return to Birmingham again except to visit my family. When I drove into Brum from my home in London along the M6 I always had a special feeling when I passed
the Dunlop

Thanks for the memories. I've walked though that main gate a thousand times to work. Got drunk in the club at weekends, happy days.
Sadly everything in those photos have all gone now,shame.

As a new comer to this site, I thought I would start a thread about Fort Dunlop, then I found this had already been started, so here's my two pennyworth.
My farther worked at Fort Dunlop most of his working life, starting before the Great War, returning after the conflict and staying there until retirement.
I think he finished up as a foreman in base stores.
During his time there he was in charge of the section that made the tyres for John Cobbs racing cars, and when Mr. Cobb was in the factory my dad often had lunch with him.
Dad also had one of his brothers work there, plus three of my brothers worked there at the same time.
Unfortunately I have no photo's of Dad while he was there.
I have a booklet about the Fort somewhere, if I can find it I'll copy some of the pictures and post.

Back