• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Duke of York, Doe Street

I would be grateful if anyone has an old photo of this pub. I'm not sure when it was demolished but any Victorian views of the street would be wonderful.

Thanks.

hi bristolloggerheads what area in birmingham was/is doe street..i have not heard of it..

lyn

hi bristolloggerheads what area in birmingham was/is doe street..i have not heard of it..

lyn

Doe Street was near Coleshill Street but the Duke Of York was in Duke Street Gosta Green, i think there's a shot of it on the site somewhere before demolition but can't find it. My family used it.

thanks brummgum..ive just read that doe st was demolished and aston university was then built..will have a look to see if i can find that pic of the duke of york..if not phil may have one..

lyn

lyn

Doe Street (and Buck Street) look as if they were buried under Jennens Road - the dual carriageway south of Aston University. (Sorry - a bit late to this thread)

My wife, as a teenager in late 1950's, worked in Doe Street at a commercial art studio. She went to work there for £2/week having previously worked at Rackhams as a window dresser for £3/week. She remembers her boss Ken had a bright blue jag which was often parked outside. The studio was above Dalziel Foundry, which was a printers. There was advertising agency adjacent called Oldfields, so all related trades. The art studio moved from here in early 1960's to Burbury Street, Lozells. There was another factory not in Doe Street but nearby called Gaskill and Chambers.

Does anyone know anything about Dalziel Foundry? Ok it was a printers in Doe Street. But why should a printers be called a foundry? Block making perhaps? I googled the name and came up with a London company of the same name and they were credited with some superb travel posters in early C20. Any connection between these companies?

Does anyone know anything about Dalziel Foundry? Ok it was a printers in Doe Street. But why should a printers be called a foundry? Block making perhaps? I googled the name and came up with a London company of the same name and they were credited with some superb travel posters in early C20. Any connection between these companies?
I am sure someone will give you the link. As for me,
I used to work in the Block Store, a freezing cold wooden shed on the roof of newspaper offices in Coventry. The shed stored the lead and metal blocks of news items and advertisements, cast in the foundry in the basement. Major clients would have their advertisements made at external block makers, the one we dealt with most was Wace in Birmingham, I don't now how they spelt their name it was always a phone call, the blocks arrived in well padded brown heavy parcels, I fetched from the Midland Red Parcels office and the Station. The adverts made up in the comp room in letters and lines were very heavy indeed. The comps had noticeably well veined muscled arms.

The 1956 Kellys lists
Dalziel Foundry Ltd. stereotypers & photo process engravers, 17 & 18 Doe st 4. TA "Letterpres,Bhm. 4 " ; Central 2042. Stereotyping seems to be making the blocks Nico described for printers

The junction of Buck Street & Doe Street taken in 1961, sorry no photo of the Duke of York

Attachments

• Ashted Buck street and Doe street 1961.jpg
    Ashted Buck street and Doe street 1961.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 35
Back