• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

duke of cornwall light infantry

heathy72

master brummie
im trying to research my grandad..he was in the duke of cornwall light infantry,he eventually became a sgt major,altho i know the regiment dont excist anymore due to either being dis banded or merged with another regiment...
the prob is im having probs with finding my grandads date of birth and death...once i get these i shud be able to find out a lot more...can anyone help me please as im new to this and havent got a clue.x

DCLI formed in 1702 amalgamed in to light brigade 1959, amalgamated the rifles 2007, still in existance, there musuem is at, the keep, bodmin pl31 1eg.tel 01208 72810, the last english 14/18 tommy cpl harry patch was a DCLI man, great hstory great regt.

thanx for that..
i will av a look at that....as i sed he was a sgt major,and i have his baton(not sure if thats the right name for it)that the sgt majors have under there arm....its a bit battered now cos of its age.....and use....x

thanx for that..
i will av a look at that....as i sed he was a sgt major,and i have his baton(not sure if thats the right name for it)that the sgt majors have under there arm....its a bit battered now cos of its age.....and use....x

It's called a Swagger Stick used to denote authority and as the name suggests when tucked under the left arm enables one to swagger, leaving the right arm free to salute.

If it's longer and opens up it is a Pace Stick, still used today by Drill Sargent's to pace out the parade.

it must be a swagger stick then..cos it does not extend,it has a silver tip and on the other end has a ball like tip also silver which has the regiment badge on.x

My great-uncle died of wounds in WW1. He was in the DCLI (a long way from Brum).

I spent a lot of time trying to see if he was listed on any of the Cornish war memorials, with no success. One day an acquaintance of mine photographed the Smethwick war memorial and Roll of Honour and there he was. Whoever wrote him in had recorded him as being in the DLI, big difference !

I often wonder if there's some way I could get that error put right.

Back