• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Drive patritions

M

mike-g

I have a 140G hard drive split into two. The D drive is labeled DATA and has 56G of free space. ( as purchased )
Is there any way I can move the partition to give me more space on the C drive?

Hello Mike, This laptop I use came with 2 partitions - a C and D drive. Why don't you move your entire 'My Documents Folder' and photos etc to the D data drive, and leave Windows operating system and Programs on the C drive. If you then ever have to re-install Windows (like I did once) all your stuff on the D drive remains intact. Also having the operating system on one drive and data on another seem to make things go slightly faster. I think if you are using Vista, you can alter the size of your partitions. I have a desktop with XP and just one massive partition and wish I could could safely split it into two:)

Hi Mike, I think you'd need something like Acronis. I see there's a free trial version on that one but I have no idea what features that would give you.

Take a look at som of THESE

Mike, most up to date PC and Laptops are configured with two visible partitions, one system, and one data. Actually there are three partitions, the third is a recovery partition hidden to the user. This contains a system recovery image which is used to put the system back to its state as supplied when purchased if things go wrong. You can use partition management software, something like Paragon Partition Magic, or the software suggested by Oisin, to adjust the size of these partitions, however, things can go wrong when trying to use system recovery if it is expecting a partition of a set size. It is possible to create a recovery disk (DVD) from the recovery partition on your hard drive and I would suggest this before making any partition adjustments just in case things go wrong. As Mohawk says it would be better to move “My Documents” folder to the D partition, this will keep your documents intact if you ever need to do a system recovery. One thing to keep in mind is that although your system shows two logical drives, C and D, it is still in fact only one physical drive you have in your system and should this drive develop electronic or mechanic problems, both partitions, C &D, plus the recovery partition will fail. With this in mind always back up your important files to removable storage or an external drive.

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will leave well alone.

Just a final comment, when I moved 'My Documents' to the D partition, I put the two drives on screen and just dragged the complete 'My Documents' folder over to D. Windows Explorer looks just the same, you wouldn't really know that all the data files were on D, left me loads of space on C. I have got a 3rd recovery partition but keep it hidden.

Hi, Oisin
Mike started the thread wanting to get rid of a partition, and here's me wanting to partition my desktop drive. I find having 2 partitions so convenient on my laptop, I would like it on my desktop. I know that partitioning an existing drive with stuff on it is a big move. I do wonder why they are making the offer of software worth £42, whats the catch? I might try the download if I can save it while I have a think about it.
Thanks
oldmohawk:)

oM, Computer Active are noted for these special software offers. I know a lot of folk who've taken them and never heard mention a single catch.

Oisin - I tried the download all 119Mb of it, and the message came up 'down load time' 8hrs 10min !! This eventually reduced and stayed at 1hr 31min. I decided I'll wait and have a look at Windows7 when it launches. I did just run the MS Windows7 upgrade tester and it said my desktop would run it with a few minor adjustments.:)

I have been running Windows 7 Beta on a spare PC for a month or two and I must say it aint bad! Seems a lot faster than Vista and support for hardware is not bad, Vista drivers seem to work fine with it, still trying various software with it and all works ok with any Vista patches applied. I would say that if your PC will run Vista ok you will have no problems with 7. Not bad for a Microsoft product!

Back