• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Draper / Bragg Family

bevflower

proper brummie kid
Hello all,
I am very new to this so apologise if I am posting in the wrong place.....I am looking for some help. My dad's family were all from Birningham but very little is known about them so I am doing some digging so that my daughter doesn't end up in teh same boat one day!
So far i know that my grandparents, Walter Leslie Draper and Rosina Bragg were married in arround 1928 and my grandfather died in 1941 in an accident at his billet whilst in the RAF.
My grandmother remarried and died in 1978, when I was 5, as Rosina Clements.
I am looking for information on the generation before ideally.

My great grandmother Rosina E Bragg (married name I assume) is listed as passing away in 1967 ( last quarter i believe) but past this i have no information on her. She had 5 /6/ 7 daughetrs who I belive are Ada, Hilda, Clara, Rosina, Jennie and maybe Jean. I can't find anything about her maiden name or marriage etc and would love to find out more about her and he husband whose name I sadly do not know.

On my grandfathers side, Walter although i have been told he was known as Les, I have found a listing of him at 1 Greenfield Street ( I think) in Harborne in 1911 aged 5, he had a brother called George (known as Vic) who I have discovered passed away around teh same time as my dad, 1997.
His parents are listed as Arthur and Kathleen and I belive she was of Irish decent with the maiden surname Glover.

My dad Michael Draper (9.11.35 - 16.4.97), younger brother of Malcolm ( passed away in 1992, and older brother of Fay, living the high life in Oz) lived in Harborne as far as I am aware during his childhood and attended Station Road school, i have some old pictures of the football team from the late 40's. He also attended National Service after this.

If you have any information, I would be eternally grateful if you could fill in some gaps for me.

Thank you

HI BEVFLOWER
Firstly i am very sorry to hear of the death of your father michael . micky to me and his brother malc whom i did know way back in the sixtyies and seventyies
he used to call me stevo abreviation for the being of a shortness for my surname i knew micky better that malc but micky was the better friend if you get my drift
malc had a good close friend whom nick name was loftie he was a tall thin and wirey type always wore a cordroy coat they was always together
as i am typing its coming back to me we called malc by the nick name of mousey and he had a girl friend whom i can visulized always wore a fur coat and i think
for some reason it was around the heath street area of the green i think her name could have been named ann i can visulized her but just cannot put the finger on her surname
they had another mate whom was litle and with blonde hair i cannot think at the moment of hios name but his moter works as a recetionist or a out patience clerk at the
queens elisabeth hospital she as worked there for years he lived down harborne park rd today he been there for years as far as i am awreas i live in worcestershire now
bev , beleive me or not but about four months ago i was only thinking of micky wondering where he may be dead or alive i know the last time i seen him he was in the best of health i am going back many years they was both well known and i can tell you they was a hard bunch and micky could move when needed
is it possible to stick the pic of the foot ball team on the forum or not
at this time i cannot say much more than that apart from our drinking in the locals good hard working lads best wishes astonian

Hi Bevflower
I am sure people here will be able to help you.

Don’t know if the following from the electoral rolls is any help
At 137 Peel St (no other people listed, though non-voters would not be included):
1920 -25 Rose Bragg
1930 Rose Elsie Bragg & Elsie Bragg
1935 Rosina & Elsie Bragg
1939 Rosina Bragg
1945 Elsie M.Philp & Rose Bragg
1950 Rose Bragg & Patricia & Francis Vallely
1955 Rosina bragg & Malcolm & Ruth ~Draper

Hi Bevflower

marriage for Walter L Draper to Rosina Bragg 1928 Bham North reference JAS 6d 1076

Rosina's second marriage in OND 1954 Bham reference 9c 513 to Michael N Clements

Suzanne

It may not mean anything, but there is only 1 person listed in the 1901 census in Warwickshire as Rosina E, and that is Rosina E Tompkins (1 year) , born London., living at 6 Firs Terrace, Dolobran Road, sparkbrook
Others in household were;
Arthur Tompkins head 27 cycle machinist born Birmingham
Ellen Tompkins wife 27 born London
Mabel E;Tompkins 4 born Weymouth
Arthur C Tompkins 2 months born Birmingham
Annie Heywood widow boarder, 74 kept by son Henry Heywood, born Darlaston
Emily Denton(?) (1) visitor born leeds.

Mike

Rosina Bragg born 19 Dec 1908 (taken from death details in 1978 Bham ref: 32 1723 AMJ)- registered 1909 JFM Bham reference 6d 15

Suzanne

Oh gosh! Thank you! Tears flowing!!
Astonian - the picture is here for you - View attachment 65966
Dad is the lanky one on the far right! sadly he passed away in 1997, aged just 61 :eek:(
He was and still is my hero! I shall follow up all of these wonderful leads and let you know how I get on!
Thank you thank you thank you
x

The IGI has a birth for Kathleen Georgina Glover 1st May 1874 Presidency of Bombay, India
christened 7th March 1874 at Deolalee, Bombay, India
Parents Andrew James Glover and Annie

Suzanne

And some other births which could be her siblings?

Ethel Maud Glover born 9th May 1880
christened 27 May 1880 at Secunderabad, Madras, India
parents - Andrew james Glover and Annie

Percival Henry Glover born 22 May 1886
christened 28 Sept 1892 Madras, India
parents Andrew james Glover and Annie Gertude

Esther Elizabeth Glover born 19 May 1872 Sealkote, Bengal, india
christened 12 June 1872 at Bengal
parents Andrew Glover and Annie

Sounds like Andrew James Glover was in the Army?

Suzanne

There's a possible marriage for an Andrew Glover to Annie Lynch 17 March 1870 in Sealkote, Bengal, India.
It says bride's age is 14!! born 1856 and her father is Dennis.
Andrew Glover's father is Adam Glover but not age for groom.

Suzanne

Hi bev
many thanks for down loading the picture so soon i hope you do not mind but i will down load a picture for my self
but also to show a very good friend of mickys and mine a guy whom was great friends whom i kep in contact with is a guy called barry kelly
whom lived down the rd from your famly in winson green at the back of the shops across from peel st i know he will be sad to hear of your los of your dad as a friend as well like myself once again bev and its great to know that people are coming out and helping you to find your history
i of course will be watching the progress our friends on the forum whom are brillient as these members are a sort of family
and i have met one or two now they are brillient people take care astonian

Suzanne - you are a legend! Thank you so much! I am in little family tree heaven here today!
I am still struggling with Rosina (Tompkins) / Bragg - I cannot find a marriage anywhere so may have to order a death certificate in the hope that it will have a maiden name on it :eek:)
Astonian - I have many pics at home of Dad so will dig out further school ones and would be happy to send you any copies. I am truly overwhelmed with the help I have received here today. despite being a soft southerner my heart belongs in the West Mids!

Hi Bevflower

Glad to help:)

When you say tompkins, are you saying Rosina was born a Tompkins?

Suzanne

Working from the ifo provided earlier -
It may not mean anything, but there is only 1 person listed in the 1901 census in Warwickshire as Rosina E, and that is Rosina E Tompkins (1 year) , born London., living at 6 Firs Terrace, Dolobran Road, sparkbrook
Others in household were;
Arthur Tompkins head 27 cycle machinist born Birmingham
Ellen Tompkins wife 27 born London
Mabel E;Tompkins 4 born Weymouth
Arthur C Tompkins 2 months born Birmingham
Annie Heywood widow boarder, 74 kept by son Henry Heywood, born Darlaston
Emily Denton(?) (1) visitor born leeds.

Although I am unsure if this is her as the date of birth I have been working on is c 1884

I have cross referenced all teh braggs and rosina's for marriage but am drawing a blank

Hi

According to her death details, posted above, in 1978, her birth date is given as :

Rosina Bragg born 19 Dec 1908 (taken from death details in 1978 for Rosina Clements Bham ref: 32 1723 AMJ)- registered 1909 JFM Bham reference 6d 15

Just curious why you believe she was a Tompkins?

Suzanne

Bevflower

I am with you now:) You are referring to Rosina E Bragg is perhaps the Tompkins. I will have a look.

Suzanne

Hi Bevflower

I think we can discount the Rose Tompkins as the mother of Rosina Bragg as the ages don't fit.

I looked for one of Rose E's children's births and found a Hilda Bragg born 1914 Bham MMN HEAVEN

Possible Marriage for a Rose Emma Heaven to an Alfred Joseph J Bragg in 1901 Bham reference 6d 85 AMJ.
I can't find any of them on the 1911 at the moment though but will keep looking.

Suzanne

Hi Bevflower
If this is the correct Rose Emma then in 1891 living at 28 Court 5 house, Stewart Street, Ladywood, Bham is (HEAVEN has been transcribed as HEAVER but the original says HEAVEN)
George Heaven B1858 Bham - labourer
Ada Heaven B1865 Alvechurch, Worcester -wife
Rose Heaven B1883 Selly Oak Worcestershire - daughter
Anne Heaven B1885 as above
Esther Heaven B1888 as above
George Heaven B1889 Bham - son
William Heaven B1890 Bham - son
Charles Clarke B1864 Bham - boarder - bricklayer's labourer
William Greatrex B1874 Bham - boarder - slater

Hi
I wonder if this is why Mikejee never found Rose E living with her husband on the electoral rolls? :(
Taken from the UK soldiers list who died in the 1st world war:
Alfred Joseph John Bragg died 18 July 1916 - France and Flanders
residence - Winson Green Bham
He was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, 1/8th Terrortorial Battalion and his regimental number was 2863 and he died of wounds.
He is buried at Bapaume Post Military Cemetery, Somme, France - grave/memorial reference I.F.3

Suzanne

Huge thanks to every one that assisted me - it seems as though i have come to the end of the road on this now though but I know soooo much more than I did and it is all beacause of YOU! Thank you

Back