• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dragon Rapide, scrapped at Elmdon airport

gary_m_walton

master brummie
Anyone recall a Dragon Rapide that I think was based at Elmdon? Eventually, it was scrapped around Elmdon Lane just inside the airfield perimeter amongst bushes. At one point, I had a bit of material from it sadly lost now. Anyone remember the registration? Eventually, I think it was removed completely and I was sad to see it go.

My first ever flight was in a Dragon Rapide ...see many pictures of various aircraft in the thread below ... :)
Click the 'up-arrow to go to the thread .... interesting post in #228
A RAF Hastings over a road by RAF Colerne, No 4 engine stopped, committed to land. No one jumped those traffic lights !
index.php

Last edited:
Anyone recall a Dragon Rapide that I think was based at Elmdon? Eventually, it was scrapped around Elmdon Lane just inside the airfield perimeter amongst bushes. At one point, I had a bit of material from it sadly lost now. Anyone remember the registration? Eventually, I think it was removed completely and I was sad to see it go.
Was it G-AGLR?

Was it G-AGLR?

Hi, many thanks for that oldMohawk. No, I don't think it was. I recall it was silver but I'm fairly sure it was air-worthy around when I started spotting (1967-ish). I think it was quite frequently flown around Elmdon. Cheers for the reply mate!
My first ever flight was in a Dragon Rapide ...see many pictures of various aircraft in the thread below ... :)

Might it have been G-AHKV owned by Mid-Fly?
Hi Ann, Yes! That was it! That reg sounded familiar as soon as you mentioned it. It's not in my 1979 CAM but is in a 1968 CAM I got from Coventry Air Museum. I see it was sold from Mid-fly to Southampton Cartographical services. Quite how it ended back up at Birmingham is a mystery .......
Anyway, I think this confirms its fate (at the bottom of the page).

So sad to see such a beautiful aircraft left in such a condition

Thanks again, Ann. BTW, do you have a connection to it?

I'm terrified of flying but even I might have gone up in one of these (on a calm sunny day). I bet it was a wonderful experience and I am envious. I will certainly check out that thread. Elmdon airport was such an interesting place then and I yearn to go back to it. There were various 'moths' ( Tiger, Puss) loads of interesting planes such as DC6's Guppies, some weird French plane (Breguet Deux Ponts), Constellations, Caravelles, Ambassador's, Herald's - the list goes on. All had character unlike the current crop. BTW that Hastings is an amazing pic. Blimey, hope it landed okay.

I flew in a Handly Page Hastings on my first overseas tour in the RAF from Lyenham to Takoradi on the Gold Coast (now Ghana) October 1949

The most exciting flight I've ever had ....
I'm terrified of flying but even I might have gone up in one of these (on a calm sunny day). I bet it was a wonderful experience and I am envious.
The most exciting flight I've had ...
I was an Instrument Fitter at RAF Feltwell and we were often detailed to go up on the first flight after a major service. The theory being that we would work carefully knowing that one of us would be detailed for the flight. One day it was my turn and I climbed into the right seat of a dual control aircraft which had parachutes built into the seats.

The sergeant tucked a sick-bag into my tunic even though I told him I was never air-sick and I waited with oxygen mask and headphones on for the pilot to arrive. He came and we roared off down the runway to climb up to about 10,000 ft where he turned the a/c upside down and told me to collect all the toffee papers and other bits of rubbish which dropped into the canopy.

He then had to make some performance notes and asked me to hold the stick and keep it straight and level before he then took control and dived the a/c to start a loop during which I blacked out. I told him about this and he said I hadn't blacked out, it was simply my eyeballs being forced down and blocking vision, and I was to look upwards at the start of the next loop which I then saw all the way over.

He continued to do stall turns, barrel rolls, wing overs, and I remember seeing the fields of East Anglia spinning below as we did a spiral dive. By this time I was feeling slightly queasy but luckily we landed and I did not need to use the sick-bag.

It was worth doing National Service just to have had a flight like that .... :)

Hi Ann, Yes! That was it! That reg sounded familiar as soon as you mentioned it. It's not in my 1979 CAM but is in a 1968 CAM I got from Coventry Air Museum. I see it was sold from Mid-fly to Southampton Cartographical services. Quite how it ended back up at Birmingham is a mystery .......
Anyway, I think this confirms its fate (at the bottom of the page).

So sad to see such a beautiful aircraft left in such a condition

Thanks again, Ann. BTW, do you have a connection to it?
The Cartographical Services Rapide was flown into high ground in the Peak District and destroyed when it ran out of fuel on an aerial photographic survey. The pilot was the notorious Jeep Holmes, who later became Chief Pilot at Birmingham European Airways

In the late 1950’s / early 1960’s I was treated to a short flight in a Dragon Rapide from the old Birmingham Elmdon airport . Unfortunately I did not record the reg , although a keen spotter, so I’m wondering if photos exist of this aircraft ?

In the late 1950’s / early 1960’s I was treated to a short flight in a Dragon Rapide from the old Birmingham Elmdon airport . Unfortunately I did not record the reg , although a keen spotter, so I’m wondering if photos exist of this aircraft ?
Think only these two were at Elmdon

Last edited:

Could possibly be G-AHKV owned by Midfly. Not sure it was this one,but it was withdrawn from use at Elmdon in sept 1969.
Does this fit the time span.
In early 1960s it was owned by the AA for traffic spotting.

Hello Elmdon Boy. Yes! That is the one and that registration triggered a distant memory! Thank you so much for that. Did you plane spot much in the day?

The Rapide used for pleasure flights may have been G-AGLR which was operated by Lees Hill Aviation.

Back