• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

downes rose look up please

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i have searched myself but cant find a birth for a rose downes b between 1902 and 1904... birm

trying to find out how many children albert henry downes and kate downes had...

many thanks for any help folks...

Re: rose downes look up please

theres a rose ellen downes born 1901 kings norton. thats about the nearest i can find

oh hold on, theres a rosilla downes born 1902 jan-mar aston 6d 260. that looks a bit better

hi chris...given the year and area born i would say rosilla looks the better bet...i wonder if you could find out the area where kate alice downes was born please...the year would be 1908....trying to find out if they were sisters....kate alice was my grandmother and its looking like i will get a very sad ending to this search...

lyn

the birth record for kate alice downes 1908 apr-jun birmingham 6d 183

thanks chris..i had that info but wondered if it may also say aston...not to worry i will get copies of both the girls birth certs and see if they have the same parents....

thanks again...

I've tried to find them in the 1911 census and had no luck. It's probably me as I'm having one of those weekends and I'm too tired to be looking at Genes. I'll keep looking but if you have any other names I'll try those too. To be doing some family history is a very welcome break from what I should be doing:)

Jill

thanks very much jill..im going to get birth cert copies to sort this one out but i may need some more help tomorrow...

much appreciated..

lyn

HI SHERA
Tthe downes family lived up a big open terrace on victoria rd aston they was a big family of kids a big yard and they lived up there with the fishers and the douglas family al#ong with others whom name i just cannot think of at the moment and there was a murder up there some giuy bumped off one of the neiobours whom was a neibour to them it was a creepy yard
just past the post office it was by the corner of upper sutton street in the middle of the fifties or just before
so that will be your aston downes family best wishes astonian

It's no bother Lyn, just shout for what you need me to look for. I am a bit puzzled that I can't find them at all but it's probably my rubbish looking up skills.

I'm going to keep looking for a while longer.

Jill

HI SHERA
Just to add it was the early fifty that they was there andnot as i said midle of the fifties fishers and douglas was the neibours at that time along with alot of other familys and as i have said during that period there was chap whom murded his wife up the yard and a friend of mine was a lad whom parents took over the big pub hotel on victoria rd next to the post office and prior to that they hadthe turf pub at springhil oppersite the springhill libary as well at the same time
i hope you are well shera astonian

It's no bother Lyn, just shout for what you need me to look for. I am a bit puzzled that I can't find them at all but it's probably my rubbish looking up skills.

I'm going to keep looking for a while longer.

Jill

jill i have a feeling rosilla is the one im looking for..but on the 1911 census she is down as rose...sometimes names were shortened...will soon know tomorrow so i will let you know..keep up the good work...

lyn

Last edited:

this could be the one living 198 wellington st. bham

jane bradnock head widow 71 fried fish shop (shopkeeper) at home. b.bham
rose downs granddaughter 9 b.bham
john stevenson boarder widower 74

for jane bradnock it says married 50 yrs and had 10 children but only 3 still living, then it is crossed out as she shouldnt fill it in as a widow.

How stupid am I. I never thought to look under Downs.

What I did find though and was just coming back to post is this

Albert Henry Downes married Kate Bradnock Aston 6d 696 Dec 1/4 1900

So I backed up to 1891 and found this

1 Aukland Road, Deritend, Bordesley

Jane Bradnock Head Widow aged 51
Charles Bradnock son single 22 Brassfounder
Annie Bradnock dtr 16
Kate Bradnock Daughter 9
Ernest Bradnock Nephew 18 Invoice Clerk

All except for Ernest were born in Bham. He looks like Gloucestershire except for one thing. I found what I believe to be his birth ref on FreeBMD Jun 1/4 1868 Ernest Bradnock Birmingham 6d 201

I think I've found him on the 1871 but the old eyes are going fuzzy and when that happens I can't look at the screen any longer so if you want, I'll have to look up for you tomorrow or Tuesday or maybe one of our lovely friends on here could do it for you.

Hope it all helps.

Jill

this could be the one living 198 wellington st. bham

jane bradnock head widow 71 fried fish shop (shopkeeper) at home. b.bham
rose downs granddaughter 9 b.bham
john stevenson boarder widower 74

for jane bradnock it says married 50 yrs and had 10 children but only 3 still living, then it is crossed out as she shouldnt fill it in as a widow.

thanks chris....ive got that info...looks like jane would have been 44 when she had kate who died at 27...will get back to you later with my findings...

lyn

How stupid am I. I never thought to look under Downs.

What I did find though and was just coming back to post is this

Albert Henry Downes married Kate Bradnock Aston 6d 696 Dec 1/4 1900

So I backed up to 1891 and found this

1 Aukland Road, Deritend, Bordesley

Jane Bradnock Head Widow aged 51
Charles Bradnock son single 22 Brassfounder
Annie Bradnock dtr 16
Kate Bradnock Daughter 9
Ernest Bradnock Nephew 18 Invoice Clerk

All except for Ernest were born in Bham. He looks like Gloucestershire except for one thing. I found what I believe to be his birth ref on FreeBMD Jun 1/4 1868 Ernest Bradnock Birmingham 6d 201

I think I've found him on the 1871 but the old eyes are going fuzzy and when that happens I can't look at the screen any longer so if you want, I'll have to look up for you tomorrow or Tuesday or maybe one of our lovely friends on here could do it for you.

Hope it all helps.

Jill

thanks for that jill and dont worry about the spelling...looks like they sometimes dropped the e in downes...will get back to you later....:).

Lynn do you have the Bradnock (Bradnack) family in 1881? Here they are, all children born B'Ham

Charles D. BRADNACK Head M Male 44 Yardley, Worcester, England Plane Maker (Tool)
Jane BRADNACK Wife M Female 41 Birmingham, Warwick, England
Isaac BRADNACK Son U Male 19 Plane Maker
Charles D. BRADNACK Son Male 12 Scholar
Anne BRADNACK Dau Female 7 Scholar
Laura BRADNACK Dau Female 2
Living at Back 12 Godwin St Aston,

Last edited:

If I have the right family here is Charles' birth and christening .

Name: Charles Decimus Bradnack
Baptism/Christening Date: 03 Nov 1836
Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT MARTIN,BIRMINGHAM,
Birth Date: 22 Sep 1836
Father's Name: Isaac Bradnack
Mother's Name: Mary

Last edited:

[SIZE=+1]Marriages Mar 1861 [/SIZE]
Bradnack Charles Decimus Aston 6d 279 = Terry Jane Aston 6d 279

Name: Jane Terry
Baptism/Christening Date: 24 Sep 1849 (that's the christening date not the birth)
Baptism/Christening Place: Haselor, Warwick, England
Birthplace: Bermingham ( Think that's Birmingham)
Father's Name: John Terry
Mother's Name: Lucy

There are three Jane Terry's born Aston two in 1838 and one in 1840

Last edited:

hi ya chris...thanks so much for the 81 and the baptism records..i had not go that far but have now written all that down...ive just ordered some birth.death and marr certs to try and tie up some loose ends...going to collect them soon and i should find out at least the circumstances of my gt grandparents deaths who i beleive died on the same day or 1 day apart leaving at least my grandmother orphaned at a few months old and possibly an older sister....well thats the plan anyway lol..will let you have my findings..

lyn:).

hi all...well just as i suspected and like so many of us have probably had now i have a sad tale to tell...my certificates confirm that

my gt grandparents albert downes and kate downes both died in 1908...kate died first on 4th nov age 27..cause of death pneumonia and cardiac failure..the informant of her death was husband albert also present and the day after on the 5th albert died cause of death haemoptysis syncope (ive no idea what that is..maybe someone can let me know.informant of his death was his sister:( they left behind daughter rosilla age 6 and my grandmother kate alice aged 7 months...luckily i know what happened to kate and who took her in and bought her up very well indeed and looking at my other info it would seem that rosillas grandmother took her in..our dad seems to think that there was at least another child born to albert and kate so i shall continue to search...

well at least ive got that sorted...thanks for all your help folks...

lyn

Last edited:

Hi Lyn

Glad you know a bit more even though it's sad:(

I wonder if this is Rosilla's marriage?
recorded as Roseilla Downes to a William H P White in 1919 Bham OND 6d 667

Suzanne

hi suzanne..yes its very sad but it did happen quite a lot in those days and my guess of them dying from tb was way off the mark.... but it was bothering me and i had to find out more...that could be rosillas marriage it would make her about 17..:)

lyn

Hi Lyn, well, haemoptysis means coughing up blood, so it could be anything, possibly TB, and syncope means he blacked out a lot. As you say, it's very sad, and really, we don't know we are born really. Very sad also to have left small children. Both of my gt grandmothers died when my grandmothers were just four - one in 1896 the other in 1900, and both were TB, so it was not unusual, but that does not make it less shocking or less sad.

Shortie

hi shortie and many thanks for the info...so maybe i was not far out with thinking a possible case of TB...when i go to see our dad i will ask him if his mom( kate alice age 7 months) ever mentioned to him just how many bros and sisters she had because when she was old enough she was told by the doyle family who took her in the circumstances about her parents...just one last thing TB took kate alice in the end...she was only in her 40s....

lyn

Back